Richard Dawkins on homosexuality
Richard Dawkins, who is a liberal, speculates that a "gay gene" causes homosexuality, but science has not discovered such a gene (see: Causes of homosexuality) In 1993, Professor Miron Baron, M.D., the renowned medical researcher and Professor at Columbia University, wrote in BMJ (British Medical Journal) that there is a conflict relative to the theory of evolution and the notion of genetic determinism concerning homosexuality. Dr. Baron wrote "...from an evolutionary perspective, genetically determined homosexuality would have become extinct long ago because of reduced reproduction." In the United States, liberals are more likely to believe in the theory of evolution. Also, in the United States, twice as many liberals as conservatives (46% versus 22%) believe people are born homosexual and liberals generally have more favorable opinions about homosexuality. Given Dr. Miron Baron's commentary about homosexuality, many American liberals are inconsistent on the issues of evolution and homosexuality.
An individual's beliefs regarding creation science/creationism and the theory of evolution appear to influence their views on homosexuality. Creationist scientists and creationist assert that the theory of evolution cannot account for the origin of gender and sexual reproduction. Creation Ministries International states: "Homosexual acts go against God’s original design of a man and a woman becoming one flesh — see Genesis 1 and 2, endorsed by Jesus Himself in Matthew 19:3–6." In addition, the vast majority of creation scientists reject the notion of genetic determinism concerning the origin of homosexuality.
- Causes of homosexuality
- Homosexuality and genetics
- Genetics, Homosexuality, Evolutionary Paradigm, and Creation Science
- Atheism and homosexuality
- Religious Upbringing and Culture Affects Rates of Homosexuality
Richard Dawkins commentary on the God of the Old Testament
Richard Dawkins has accused the God of the Old Testament of being homophobic. Yet, Dawkins has not explained why God, who is described as an all powerful spiritual being in the Old Testament, would be afraid of homosexuals.
- Richard Dawkins' worldview
- Richard Dawkins and pseudoscience
- Richard Dawkins, atheist atrocities, and historical revisionism
- Atheism and deception
- Women's views of Richard Dawkins
- Richard Dawkins speculates that gene for homosexuality exists
- BMJ. 1993 August 7; 307(6900): 337–338.
- Richard Dawkins praises the Bible…is he an ignorant barbarian?