Ruby Ridge is the name given to a ridge near the town of Bonner's Ferry, Idaho just south of Canada. It is famous for the 1992 police state atrocity in which Randy Weaver and his family, along with Kevin Harris, were surrounded in his home by federal agents intending to arrest Weaver for selling a sawed-off shotgun to an undercover agent of the BATF. To sell a saw-off shotgun, which is simply a shotgun that is shorter than 27 inches long, merely requires an easily obtainable $250 tax stamp from the BATF.
In a botched confrontation, Weaver's wife and son, along with a US Marshal were shot and killed. The subsequent siege of the Weaver property by federal agents was the subject of a great deal of media attention and negative publicity about the tactics of the BATF, specifically their decision to suspend their normal rules of engagement and shoot on sight, which had led to the murder of Vicki Weaver and their son. The incident came about because the BATF had attempted to enlist Randy Weaver as an undercover informant on the Aryan Nations group in Hayden Lake, Idaho. Randy Weaver had once visited the Aryan Nations but was not a member. When he refused, he was threatened with arrest on the sawed-off shotgun BATF $250 tax stamp charges. James "Bo" Gritz, who had been Randy Weaver's commander in the Special Forces during the Vietnam War, acted as the negotiator between Weaver and the U.S. government during the siege.
Conservative Veterans, Gun Enthusiasts See Police State Behaviors
The Oath Keeper in the FBI and BATFE upheld their oaths to protect the rule of law and performed their sworn duties.
- American Redoubt: Idaho
- Branch Davidians
- Police state Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
- National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, Second Amendment Foundation
Bibliography - Further Reading
- Bock, Alan. Ambush at Ruby Ridge : How Government Agents Set Randy Weaver Up and Took His Family Down. Dickens Press, 1995.
- Walter, Jess. Every Knee Shall Bow:The Truth and Tragedy of Ruby Ridge and the Randy Weaver Family. HarperCollins, 1995.
- Party, Boston T., Molon Labe!. Wyoming Javelin Press, 30 January 2004, 454 pp (first edition, paperback), ISBN 1-888766-07-7 - Conservative Christian Libertarian dystopian fiction novel entirely based around the issue of States' rights and the Tenth Amendment's connection with the Second Amendment right to armed citizen defense against federal tyranny. Contains many references and discussions of Ruby Ridge.
- Party, Boston T., Boston's Gun Bible. Wyoming Javelin Press, 2008. Contains many references and discussions of Ruby Ridge.