Difference between revisions of "Sadiq Khan"
(→Mayor of London)
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
Revision as of 12:36, 14 June 2018
Sadiq Khan (born October 8, 1970) is the first Islamic politician to head a major European capital as Mayor of London. He succeeds Boris Johnson after a bitter campaign facing the son of a Billionaire, Zac Goldsmith. Khan entered the House of Commons in 2005 and rose through the ranks of the Labour Party as Shadow Minister for London. He is known for his vocal anti-Trump stances, as well as the massive increases in crime London has been during his tenure.
Khan is of Pakistani descent, married to Saadiya Ahmed, and they have two children.
Links to extremism
Several conservative organizations have highlighted Khan's ties to Islamic extremism and other questionable activities that he has been associated with. Here are some examples of these concerns:
- In 2001 he was the lawyer for the Nation of Islam in its successful High Court bid to overturn the 15-year-ban on its demagogic leader, Louis Farrakhan.
- In 2005 and 2006 he visited terror-charged Babar Ahmad in Woodhill Prison. Mr. Ahmed was extradited to the U.S. in 2012, serving time in prison before being returned to the UK in 2015. Mr. Ahmed pleaded guilty to the terrorist offenses of conspiracy and providing material support to the Taliban.
- Khan also campaigned for the release and repatriation of Shaker Aamer, Britain’s last Guantanamo detainee, who was returned to the UK in November.
- Khan has campaigned with Suliman Gani, an imam who supports female subservience to men and who has called for the founding of an Islamic state.
- Khan has blamed terrorism on UK government policy
- Khan has defended Zacarias Moussaoui, a 9/11 terrorist who admitted to being a member of Al Qaeda
Mayor of London
- See also: European migrant crisis#United Kingdom
Khan was elected Mayor of London in 2016, becoming the first Muslim to hold the position. During Khan's tenure, nearly every category of crime, including knife crime, gun crime, theft, burglary, rape, and homicide, saw massive increases, and he devoted the city government's resources to prosecuting "hate crimes" (merely offensive speech, often on social media) against Muslims. Khan was even forced to do a U-turn on his promise to end the effective law enforcement practice of "stop and search" after the massive crime increases were reported.
In late 2017, Khan called on the UK government to make a "full and formal" apology for an Indian massacre that happened nearly 100 years prior.
Khan has feuded with conservative U.S. President Donald Trump numerous times during his tenure, with him frequently calling for the UK government to prevent the president from visiting Britain and with President Trump criticizing him and his left-wing policies. Khan had endorsed Hillary Clinton in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, and his endorsement cost London taxpayers £39,806 due to a trip he made to the U.S. effectively to campaign for Clinton. In January 2018, Trump supporters disrupted a speech Khan made to the left-wing Fabian Society. According to the former UK Ambassador to the U.S. Sir Nigel Sheinwald, Khan's moves were hurting Britain's chances at securing a free trade deal with the U.S. In May 2018, Khan stated that "we have a responsibility" to condemn tweets by Trump that he disapproved of, but not to condemn human rights abuses by authoritarian leaders.
Under Khan's tenure, London overtook New York City as having the largest number of murders for the first time since 1800. In March 2018, the murder rate had risen 44% compared to the previous year. Khan responded to the massive crime increase to the Conservative Party, despite his own policy changes.
- Telegraph Freaks Out Over Breitbart and Drudge ‘LondonisKhan’ Headlines. Breitbart News. May 7, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Kassam, Raheem (May 3, 2016). London Is About To Elect A Muslim Mayor Who Has Defended Islamists, 9/11 Terrorists, And Who Is Endorsed By Anti-Semites. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- LIVE WIRE — Sadiq Khan Elected London’s First Muslim Mayor. Breitbart News. May 6, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Kassam, Raheem (January 2, 2018). Sadiq’s London: Knife Crime, Gun Crime, Theft, Burglary, Rape, Homicide all MASSIVELY Up. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (August 16, 2016). London Mayor To Set Up Police ‘Online Hate Crime Hub’ In ‘Partnership’ With Social Media Firms. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (January 11, 2018). London Mayor Flips on ‘Stop and Search’ After Breitbart Exposé of Capital Crime Epidemic. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Friedman, Victoria (December 9, 2017). London Mayor Sadiq Khan Demands UK Apologise for Century-Old Indian Massacre. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Pace, Julie; Lucey, Catherine (June 5, 2017). Trump criticizes London's mayor, again. Fox News (from the Associated Press). Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- London Mayor Khan suggests calling off Trump state visit to Britain. Fox News. June 6, 2017. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- London's Khan blasts Trump's rhetoric, makes comparison to ISIS. Fox News. September 24, 2017. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (November 30, 2017). London’s Muslim Mayor Calls for Trump Ban After Retweets, Church of England Demands Apology from President. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Lane, Oliver JJ (December 26, 2017). ‘Not Welcome’: London’s Muslim Mayor Repeats Calls to Cancel Trump Visit. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- London’s Muslim Mayor Backs Clinton For U.S. President. Breitbart News (from Reuters). September 16, 2016. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Boyle, Christina (May 16, 2016). London's first Muslim mayor calls Trump 'ignorant' and supports Clinton. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Skwirczynski, Przemek (October 8, 2016). Khan: The £39,806 Cost of Hillary Clinton’s Campaign to London Taxpayers. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Montgomery, Jack (January 13, 2018). SAD KHAN! Protesters Disrupt Mayor’s Speech as Londoners Wake Up to Sadiq’s ‘Sh*thole’. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Marshall, Francesca (January 13, 2018). Pro-Trump supporters crash Fabian conference in protest of Sadiq Khan. The Telegraph. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Blake, Andrew (January 13, 2018). Trump supporters disrupt speech by London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan. The Washington Times. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Montgomery, Jack (January 14, 2018). Former UK-US Ambassador: Posturing of Sadiq Khan and Others Could Kill Post-Brexit Trade Deals. Breitbart News. Retrieved January 14, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (May 17, 2018). Mayor Khan Says UK Has a ‘Responsibility’ to ‘Call Out’ Trump for Tweets, But Not Saudi Arabia. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 17, 2018.
- Multiple references:
- Montgomery, Jack (April 1, 2018). Murders in London Overtake New York for First Time Since 1800 Under Sadiq Khan. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 1, 2018.
- Carbone, Christopher (April 1, 2018). London murder rate beats New York for month as stabbings surge. Fox News. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Duke, Selwyn (April 5, 2018). "War Zone" Crime Wave: Khan Fiddles While London Burns. The New American. Retrieved April 5, 2018.
- Hawkins, Awr (April 2, 2018). How it Happened: More Homicides in Gun-Controlled London than in New York City. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Steyn, Mark (April 2, 2018). Diversity unto Death - Literally. Steyn Online. Retrieved April 2, 2018.
- Byas, Steve (April 3, 2018). London’s Rising Murder Rate Raises Questions About Gun Control. The New American. Retrieved April 4, 2018.
- Hale, Virginia (May 20, 2018). Murder Surges 44 Per Cent in Khan’s London Amidst ‘Troubling’ Rise in Serious Crime. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 20, 2018.
- Deacon, Liam (April 4, 2018). Khan Responds to Knife Crime Surge, Blames Tories. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 4, 2018.