Sergey Viktorovich Lavrov (Russian:Серге́й Ви́кторович Лавро́в) (21 March 1950) is the current Foreign Minister of Russia since 9 March 2004, he belongs to the United Russia party.
NATO war in Ukraine
- See also: NATO war in Ukraine
In the lead up to the Russian Special Military Operation in Ukraine, Sergey Lavrov asked UK foreign minister Liz Truss during a meeting in Moscow whether London recognized Russia’s sovereignty over the regions of Rostov and Voronezh. Truss replied that the UK “will never recognize Russia’s sovereignty over these regions.” UK Ambassador to Russia Deborah Bronnert, also present, had to intervene and remind Truss that these two regions are actually considered Russian territory even by the United Kingdom, and in fact those regions have been part of Russia for over 1,000 years. For Truss' ignorance of world affairs and history, she was promoted to UK prime minister four months later.
On April 11, 2022 Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov said,
|"Russia's military action in Ukraine is meant to put an end to the US-dominated world order…Our special military operation is also meant to put an end to the unabashed expansion of NATO and the unabashed drive towards full domination by the United States and its Western subjects on the world stage...This domination is built on gross violations of international law and under some rules, which they are now hyping so much and which they make up on a case-by-case basis”.|
On July 20, 2022, in a lengthy interview with RT television, Sputnik and Rossiya Segodnya International Information Agency, Lavrov spelled out Russia's objectives which now had to be modified because of NATO aggressive actions in Ukraine:
|"This process continues, consistently and persistently. It will continue as long as the West, in its impotent rage, desperate to aggravate the situation as much as possible, continues to flood Ukraine with more and more long-range weapons. Take the HIMARS. Defense Minister Alexey Reznikov boasts that they have already received 300-kilometre ammunition. This means our geographic objectives will move even further from the current line. We cannot allow the part of Ukraine that Vladimir Zelensky, or whoever replaces him, will control to have weapons that pose a direct threat to our territory or to the republics that have declared their independence and want to determine their own future."|
Meeting with South African officials in Pretoria, foreign minister Sergey lavrov said,
|"When we talk about what is going on in Ukraine, we are talking about the fact that this is no longer a hybrid war, but a real one, the West has been preparing for a long time against Russia, trying to destroy everything Russian: from language to culture, which has been in Ukraine for centuries, and forbidding people to speak their native language...In Ukraine, this is all common practice…Both the former president of Ukraine, Pyotr Poroshenko and the current one Vladimir Zelensky, who were elected under the slogan of establishing peace, immediately after being elected turned into war presidents, Russophobe presidents...Any cultural contacts related to the Russian language are prohibited…And this is all supported by the West…Just like the West supports the regular marches of neo-Nazis with swastikas, with symbols of division which were banned by the Nuremberg Tribunal, recognized as criminal…The West supports all this”.|
On October 13, 2022, Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov said at a press conference:
|"We sat at the negotiating table with the Ukrainian delegation until the end of March , when an approach to a settlement on the principles suggested by the Ukrainians at the time had been harmonised in Istanbul. These principles suited us for that moment but the talks were stopped by direct order from Washington and London.
This conflict is overrun with Anglo-Saxons that fully control the Vladimir Zelensky regime. The Poles and people from the Baltics are trying to fit in on their team.
Since then the Ukrainian President has said many times that he is not going to hold talks with the Russian Federation under President Vladimir Putin. Recently, he codified this ban in law. We have never sought negotiations. The Istanbul round completed the process started at Ukraine’s request. Russia positively reacted to the proposal to enter a dialogue, but its initiators cut it off with a shout from overseas or London.
We are hearing statements by White House representative John Kirby, my colleague Antony Blinken and other members of the US administration. They are saying that they are completely open to talks with the Russian Federation, that they favor a political settlement of the current situation in Ukraine but Russia (the “troublemaker”) is rejecting proposals to establish contact. I can say straight away that this is a lie. We have not received any serious proposals to establish any such contact. There were some attempts that were not very serious, but we didn’t reject them, either. Instead, we suggested that they formulate specific proposals. Some people made them to us by proxy but in this case, we didn’t receive any clear explanations from anyone, either. No need to lie. We were taught in a kindergarten then lying is bad. Apparently, American kindergartens are not so advanced as they were in the Soviet Union and are now in Russia."
US Libyan intervention
- See also: Libyan war
In a meeting with US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton on March 13, 2011 in the Paris Westin Hotel, Sec. Clinton gave assurances United Nations Security Council Resolution 1973 would be used solely by the United States and NATO to prevent Col. Muammar Gaddafi from using his airforce to attack Libyan rebels. Lavrov accepted the assurance and the Russian Federation did not veto passage of UNSC 1973 on March 17, 2011. By March 19, US air power was attacking Gaddafi's ground forces. The deception was the immediate cause of a deterioration in US-Russian relations which has continued into the Trump administration.
- “The United States decided that we have been cooperating too well with Germany over the past 20 or 30 years; or rather, the Germans cooperated with us too well...The powerful alliance based on Russian energy resources and German technology began to threaten the monopoly position of many American corporations...So, Washington decided to destroy this alliance between Moscow and Berlin, and did it literally by attacking the pipelines, which were built to deliver Russian gas to Europe through Germany”.
- ↑ https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/22/cher-kardashian-agassi-armenias-a-list-diaspora-genocide
- ↑ https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/biden-warns-world-war-whils-truss-says-rostov-and-voronezh-are-not-russian
- ↑ https://www.india.com/news/world/russia-seeks-to-end-us-dominated-world-order-says-russian-foreign-minister-sergey-lavrov-5332644/
- ↑ https://russische-botschaft.ru/de/2022/07/21/foreign-minister-sergey-lavrovs-interview-with-rt-television-sputnik-agency-and-rossiya-segodnya-international-information-agency-moscow-july-20-2022/
- ↑ Ex-Israeli PM Reveals West Sabotaged Peace In Ukraine,February 5, 2023.
- ↑ https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/western-allies-led-uks-johnson-sabotaged-tentative-ukraine-russia-peace-deal
- ↑ "Yes, we’re lying. That’s the real world." Former #US Ambassador to #Russia Michael McFaul admits that U.S. diplomats were lying.
- ↑ https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/hillarys-war-how-conviction-replaced-skepticism-in-libya-intervention/2011/10/28/gIQAhGS7WM_story.html?utm_term=.c2e27d506f53
- ↑ https://www.osw.waw.pl/en/publikacje/analyses/2011-03-23/russia-military-intervention-libya
- ↑