Sesame Street is a television show for children on the PBS network. It has been around since 1969 and has spawned a series of movies, books, magazines, and toys. Sesame Street features muppets interacting with adults and children in an educational setting that emphasizes learning numbers and letters. The show has won a number of Emmy Awards and is shown in over 25 languages around the world.
Average episode of Sesame Street <iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9C_HReR_McQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Sesame Street successfully launched the career of Jim Henson's muppets and has produced countless imitations and variations. A number of Sesame Street movies have been made, including Follow That Bird and The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland. Sesame Street characters have made appearances on a number of game and talk shows. Many stuffed animals of the Sesame Street characters are sold in amazing quantities and the Tickle Me Elmo is considered to be one of the best selling toys of all time. A number of musical albums have been released by Sesame Street characters, most notably Bert's Blockbusters which scored an unexpected success in 1974 with the single Doin' the Pigeon.
- Big Bird -- An 8-foot tall yellow bird who walks on 2 legs, a good natured but simple creature. The character of Big Bird was involved in a real-life media scandal about draft-dodging in the Vietnam War following his appearance in the NBC sitcom "Bill'n'the Bird" in 1968. 
- Cookie Monster -- a lover of all cookies
- Snuffleupagus -- a creature who looks a bit like an elephant; at first only big bird saw him, but that has changed
- Oscar the Grouch -- lives in a garbage can, has a generally cantankerous nature
- The Count -- a vampire who loves to count
- Bert & Ernie -- human muppets; Ernie's child-like goofs are balanced by Bert's more serious nature
- Telly Monster
- Kermit the Frog -- a green frog hand muppet who went on to star in the muppet movies
- Grover -- typical friendly monster, also the voice of Yoda