Shallum (Strong's H7966) is understood by Strong to be the same as Shillum (H7966), and meaning retribution. Shallum is rendered by various forms in the Septuagint. Easton lists eleven persons by this name, the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia twelve, while Smith provides fifteen possible persons:
- 1. The fifteenth king of Israel, son of Jabesh, who conspired against Zachariah, killed him, and brought the dynasty of Jehu to a close, B.C. 770. Shallum, after reigning in Samaria for a month only, was, in his turn, dethroned and killed by Menahem. 2Ki_15:10-14.
- 2. The husband of Huldah, the prophetess, 2Ki_22:14; 2Ch_34:23, in the reign of Josiah. (B.C. 830).
- 3. A descendant of Shesham. 1Ch_2:40-41.
- 4. The third son of Josiah, king of Judah, known in the books of Kings and Chronicles as Jehoahaz. 1Ch_3:15; Jer_22:11. See Jehoahaz. (B.C. 610).
- 5. Son of Shaul, the son of Simeon. 1Ch_4:25.
- 6. A high priest. 1Ch_6:12-13; Ezr_7:2.
- 7. A son of Naphtali. 1Ch_7:13.
- 8. The chief of a family of porters, or gate-keepers, of the east gate of the Temple. 1Ch_9:17. (B.C. 1050).
- 9. Son of Kore, a Korahite. 1Ch_9:19; 1Ch_9:31.
- 10. Father of Jehizkiah, an Ephraimite. 2Ch_28:12.
- 11. One of the porters of the Temple, who had married a foreign wife. Ezr_10:24.
- 12. One of the sons of Bani. Ezr_10:42.
- 13. The son of Halohesh, and ruler of a district of Jerusalem. Neh_3:12.
- 14. The uncle of Jeremiah, Jer_32:7, perhaps the same as Shallum, 2.
- 15. Father, or ancestor, of Maaseiah Jer_35:4, perhaps the same as Shallum, 9. (B.C. 630).
The exact dates are not provided by the text, and are usually considered approximate.
- M.G. Easton M.A D.D., the Illustrated Bible Dictionary, 1897; http://www.bible-history.com/eastons/S/Shallum
- Smith's Bible Dictionary by Dr. William Smith (1884); http://www.smithsbibledictionary.org/3843-Shallum.php