I believe America was polarized, unintentionally, but I don't believe Bush was the culprit. My theory is that either the Republican congress of the 1990's or Democrat President Bill Clinton is to blame. Maybe neither, maybe I am wrong. I'll be waiting for your reply.
(1) Republicans in congress so harassed Bill Clinton that America got entrenched to two camps, Left and Right of center.
(2) Bill Clinton throwing out Right wingers, as attacking me, when he probally should have stepped down.
'00 elections were so narrow, both camps claim Presidency.
The seeds of polarization were laid before we were attacked on 9/11. Initially, we put our differences aside and supported the President. Some reverted back to their camps right after the Axis of Evil speech of '02. As time passed, certain high profile people came out against Bush and against his Iraq policy. This became a loud drum rally for the left and right, all that came together after the shock of 9/11 was wiped out.
If I am wrong, then this is what happened. Democrats, in charge for decades, found their parties livelyhood threatened by not owning any power. The loss of Presidency, both congresses, many governorships, all branches and then the Supreme Court- they were determined to take back power at any cost. That cost democracy dearly.--jp 00:10, 8 May 2007 (EDT)
- I"m guessing you're a teenager, so you probably don't remember Newt Gingrich and Co's very organized, very determined, and very successful efforts to make "liberal" a cussword back in the '90's. --Gulik2 13:34, 10 May 2007 (EDT)
- Sorry, wrong generation. I do remember the 1990's and a very organized, polarizing, democrat led institutions taking over- namely: NOW, Planned Parenthood, the ACLU and Teachers Union. They now own the rights to the Democrat name.--jp 14:20, 10 May 2007 (EDT)
- Just sayin'--if you guys didn't insist upon treating "Liberal" as a synonym for "Child-molesting Bolshevik Satanist", maybe you'd have a slightly easier time finding common ground. And why is it always "Democrat" and not "Democratic"? --14:25, 10 May 2007 (EDT)