Talk:Mystery:Do Liberal Teachings Cause Mental Illness?
Andy, well done - a very well-argued essay, and one that will no doubt provoke our Liberal friends into a frenzy of denial. You might care to add that Sweden, the 'poster-boy' nation for many Liberals, has an enormously high suicide rate (and other ultra-Liberal nations likewise). Bugler 13:15, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- Thanks much, Bugler. I value your opinion and insights very much!--Aschlafly 13:49, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- your welcome. ДЛеяиея Come see if I suffer fools gladly | A place for my stuff 19:45, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
The liberal response
I will be the first liberal to respond.
Let me begin with what I think the real reason there is a huge rise in dementia. In the last few decades there has been an enormous increase in the consumption of "junk" food. I don't mean just candy and cookies, I mean all processed food; it's loaded with preservatives and chemicals which you normally wouldn't think of eating, but since it comes in a pretty package with pretty slogans like "99% fat free", we think it's good for you. The obesity epidemic probably also contributes a great deal. For further information, see Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation" and Morgan Spurlock's "Don't Eat this Book".
- I agree that is a problem. However, liberals tend to be fatter that conservatives. What one believes and accepts does affect his ability to keep off the extra pounds. So your observation tends to reinforce the likely correlation.--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
As for the content of the article:
- lying about the truth, causing belief in falsehoods or encouraging conduct disorders
I think the absurdity of this one speaks for itself. "All liberals (and public schools [except the ones that teach Intelligent Design]) lie.
- Many liberals don't think lying is wrong, and even delight in it. There is a correlation, though certainly not all liberals lie.--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- there are no real differences between boys and girls
Um, nobody teaches that. I think they teach that they're equal, but a cursory examination of the anatomy reveals several differences, especially in the reproductive/waste disposal organs.
- You're ducking the obvious point here. Think girls can excel in math as well as boys can? Liberals teach they can, which is teaching a falsehood.--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- humans are just another type of animal
As opposed to .... what? I think humans are another type of mammal, and the only way we can actually elevate ourselves is through our actions. Get your genome sequenced and you'll see how close to animals you really are.
- Teach your belief and you'll contribute to some mental disorders as kids struggle with your view that they are mere animals.--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- all there is is what you see
Not true, we teach about bacteria too small for the naked eye to see. Also about atoms, yes, atoms. (The early church used to suppress any information atoms and/or the writings of Epicures, were they responsible for mental illness?
- You duck the obvious point again, so no response to your comment is warranted.--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- death can somehow be good
We don't teach that. What I think you mean is that death is inevitable and is in fact a part of life. All that lives must die, therefore, death should not be feared. People in pain and suffering from long debilitating illness welcome death, and as adults we must realize this.
- Liberals do teach that death can be good. Ever read the leading liberal work in school called "Of Mice and Men"?--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- denying self-defense, mentally and physically
Codswallop. We don't teach that. Self-defense is great! הבא להרגך, השכם להרגו (Trans: "If somebody comes to kill you, stand up and kill him first. Talmud)
- Liberals don't teach the Talmud. Instead, they teach gun control and favor prosecuting for murder people who hold their ground in self-defense, as in Bernard Goetz.
- denying the ability to control sexual desires; promoting lifestyles that lead to mental illness
- Liberals oppose teaching abstinence or funding abstinence education.--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
- insisting on an illogical and unjustified "wall of separation of church and state"; classroom prayer would promote mental stability
Separation of church and state is logical and justified. (This is coming from a very religious person, so listen up). I don't your religion -whatever the majority of Christians in that state are- being forced on my Jewish kids, THAT is the logic. The justification. Andrew, I see you are working on history lectures, read through history about the times there wasn't a separation between church and state; what do you get? The inquisition comes to mind. Personally, I prefer separation of church and state to the auto de fe any day.
- You may be religious yourself but censoring classroom prayer by others is not helpful to them or you. A wall of separation of church and state is baseless, illogical and impossible. It's a contradiction except in a totalitarian atmosphere that imposes censorship.
classroom prayer would promote mental stability Says who? Maybe you should add [Citation Needed]?
- I'm sure lots of studies confirm that prayer is good for mental health. Have you looked yet? It's obvious.--Aschlafly 20:00, 10 August 2008 (EDT)
Once again another "fine" piece of work...