The taser is used to subdue suspects who resist arrest, as well as for personal self-defense.
It is favored by people who want to subdue a suspect or assailant without killing him, but is opposed by some people and groups (like Amnesty International).
YouTube has some videos of young men resisting arrest, getting tasered, and then claiming the police used excessive force or abused their authority.
- The Trouble With Tasers - What The Manufacturer Doesn’t Want You To Know 7 March 2007 CrunchGear. Accessed 5 January 2008.
- Forget Tupperware: Taser Parties Are the New Craze, Associated Press, Fox News, January 4, 2008
- UCLA student without ID refuses to leave the library at night
- Don't tase me, bro! - student resists arrest at Kerry forum
- Michell Malking blog entries show that the student had rushed toward the stage and cut in line to ask his question, his mike was cut off when he said a dirty word, etc.