University of Tennessee
The University of Tennessee’s predecessor was established in Knoxville on September 10, 1794, two years before Tennessee became a state.
In the beginning The University of Tennessee [UT] was known as Blount College, and had an all male student body. The first female students were accepted in 1982. From then on UT was home to a coed student body.
The college was renamed in 1807 to East Tennessee College and again in 1840 to East Tennessee University.
During the Civil war the university was obligated to close, and the buildings were used as a hospital for the soldiers. East Tennessee University reopened after the war.
At present, the Knoxville campus is home to over 25,000 students.