Unplanned is a 2019 pro-life movie about the life of Abby Johnson, a former abortion clinic director who became a pro-life activist.
The movie exceeded box office expectations in theaters despite various factors working against it, including an "R" rating, the refusal of many media outlets to air the trailer, and a temporary Twitter ban. Despite being suspended by Twitter during its opening weekend, the movie's Twitter account received 80,000 more followers than Planned Parenthood.
It was erroneously claimed that distribution companies effectively banned Unplanned in Canada, but it was later reported than an independent distributor has picked up the movie to show at theatres owned by Cineplex Entertainment and Landmark Cinemas, Canada's two largest cinema chains. Subsequent to the announcement, gutless pro-abortion cowards made death threats and launched harassment campaigns against Canadian independent movie theatre owners (i.e. those not associated with Cineplex or Landmark) planning on screening the movie, resulting in one of the independent owners cancelling his theatre's planned screening, which prompted police to get involved to investigate the threats.
- Kirkwood, R. Cort (March 30, 2019). Nets Block Ads for “Unplanned”: a Movie too Controversial to be Advertised. The New American. Retrieved March 31, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Harper, Jennifer (March 31, 2019). Despite Twitter ban, media blackout and an R-rating, 'Unplanned' cleans up at the box office. The Washington Times. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Warren, Steve (March 31, 2019). PureFlix's Pro-Life 'Unplanned' Movie Takes 5th Place in Weekend Box Office. CBN News. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Savitsky, Sasha (April 1, 2019). Disney's 'Dumbo' fails to soar at box office as faith-based film 'Unplanned' surprises with strong debut. Fox News. Retrieved April 1, 2019.
- Kirkwood, R. Cort (April 2, 2019). Unplanned Pulls In $6.1M on Opening Weekend. R Rating, Nets’ Ad-Buy Refusal Fails To Kill It. The New American. Retrieved April 2, 2019.
- Jasper, William F. (April 8, 2019). “Unplanned” Continues to Soar at Box Office Despite Media Hostility and Liberal Opposition. The New American. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- Byas, Steve (April 16, 2019). "Unplanned" Movie Is a Box Office Hit and Is Saving Lives. The New American. Retrieved April 16, 2019.
- Starr, Penny (April 3, 2019). Despite Twitter Suspension on Opening Weekend, ‘Unplanned’ Reaches 80K More Followers than Planned Parenthood. Breitbart News. Retrieved April 4, 2019.
- Svab, Petr (April 2, 2019). Anti-Abortion Movie ‘Unplanned’ Surpasses Planned Parenthood in Twitter Followers. The Epoch Times. Retrieved April 5, 2019.
- Multiple references:
- Barillas, Martin M. (May 20, 2019). ‘Unplanned’ film banned in Canada for its life-affirming content. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved May 21, 2019.
- Clabough, Raven (May 23, 2019). Unplanned Effectively Banned in Canada for “Content”. The New American. Retrieved May 24, 2019.
- Laurence, Lianne (July 12, 2019). ‘Unplanned’ opens Friday in 53 Canadian theaters despite backlash. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved July 12, 2019.
- Van Maren, Jonathon (July 12, 2019). Pro-abortion politicians, activists frantically lying about Unplanned in Canada. LifeSiteNews. Retrieved July 12, 2019.
- Two Canadian cinema owners receive death threats ahead of Unplanned screening at LifeSiteNews