Difference between revisions of "User:Ed Poor"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
<small>Archives: [[/archive 01|01]] [[/archive 02|02]]
<small>Archives: [[/archive 01|01]] [[/archive 02|02]]
Revision as of 10:11, 21 June 2007
It was winter time in Nashville, down on music city row.
And I was lookin' for a place to get myself out of the cold.
To warm the frozen feelin' that was eatin' at my soul.
Keep the chilly wind off my guitar.
My thirsty wanted whisky; my hungry needed beans,
But it'd been of month of paydays since I'd heard that eagle scream.
So with a stomach full of empty and a pocket full of dreams,
I left my pride and stepped inside a bar.
Actually, I guess you'd could call it a Tavern:
Cigarette smoke to the ceiling and sawdust on the floor;
I saw that there was just one old man sittin' at the bar.
And in the mirror I could see him checkin' me and my guitar.
An' he turned and said: "Come up here boy, and show us what you are."
I said: "I'm dry." He bought me a beer.
He nodded at my guitar and said: "It's a tough life, ain't it?"
I just looked at him. He said: "You ain't makin' any money, are you?"
I said: "You've been readin' my mail."
He just smiled and said: "Let me see that guitar.
"I've got something you oughta hear."
Then he laid it on me:
"If you waste your time a-talkin' to the people who don't listen,
"To the things that you are sayin', who do you think's gonna hear.
"And if you should die explainin' how the things that they complain about,
"Are things they could be changin', who do you think's gonna care?"
There were other lonely singers in a world turned deaf and blind,
Who were crucified for what they tried to show.
And their voices have been scattered by the swirling winds of time.
'Cos the truth remains that no-one wants to know.
Well, the old man was a stranger, but I'd heard his song before,
Back when failure had me locked out on the wrong side of the door.
When no-one stood behind me but my shadow on the floor,
And lonesome was more than a state of mind.
You see, the devil haunts a hungry man,
If you don't wanna join him, you got to beat him.
I ain't sayin' I beat the devil, but I drank his beer for nothing.
Then I stole his song.
And you still can hear me singin' to the people who don't listen,
To the things that I am sayin', prayin' someone's gonna hear.
And I guess I'll die explaining how the things that they complain about,
Are things they could be changin', hopin' someone's gonna care.
I was born a lonely singer, and I'm bound to die the same,
But I've got to feed the hunger in my soul.
And if I never have a nickle, I won't ever die ashamed.
'Cos I don't believe that no-one wants to know.
I am a SYSOP on this site, elected unanimously by the student board on my 6th day here.
True wikis have simple, clear rules. Otherwise it is a mobocracy.
Number of times my user page has been vandalized: 5
I started learning PHP 4592 days ago.
Recent ideas and/or articles
- Identity, democratic polity and the writing of reliable articles
- Honor killing, female genital mutilation, et al.
- hate speech
- mental illness
- Ann Coulter - must add her thoughts re: liberals
- "why are Jews so successful" - need a good title for this
- Todd Beamer - 9/11 hero
Not started yet
- fact and conclusion - what's the difference?
- theory and fact - ditto
- Hollywood movies sometimes show homosexual men or boys taking a harmless "Cupid" role to help solidify a budding heterosexual relationship.
- carbon offsets
- Arthur Robinson - Christian, scientist, home school advocate
- Colin Ferguson - LIRR shooter
- Values clarification
- junk pyramid - the illicit drug trade
Last 9 created
- Flight 327
- Don Rickles
- Assault on Reason
- Honesty is the best policy
- Scott Peck
- An Inconvenient Truth
- Values clarification
- Huckleberry Finn
My interests include history, religion, and science.
I've also taught SAT math prep, so if your article has any errors in arithmetic or statistics, prepare for a shock. I might just delete your entire contribution.
I'm also pretty good at science, logic, history, etc.
If you have any trouble on the site, a question about my edits/blocks/redirects/protects etc. please post on my talk page or email me and I will address them ASAP. I am open to working with everyone who demonstrates a genuine will to improve this site through their work.
Here are the most commonly violated principles of neutral editing at Wikipedia:
- It is inappropriate to remove blocks of well-referenced information which is germane to the subject from articles on the grounds that the information advances a point of view. Wikipedia's NPOV policy contemplates inclusion of all significant points of view.
- Wikipedia's neutral point-of-view (NPOV) policy contemplates inclusion of all significant points of view regarding any subject on which there is division of opinion.
- Wikipedia articles should contain information regarding the subject of the article; they are not a platform for advocacy regarding one or another point of view regarding the topic. Sweeping generalizations which label the subject of an article as one thing or another are inappropriate and not a substitute for adequate research regarding details of actual positions and actions which can speak for themselves.
- Injection of personal viewpoints regarding the subject of an article is inappropriate and not to be resolved by debate among the editors of an article, but referenced from reputable outside resources. See Wikipedia:No original research and Wikipedia:Neutral point of view.
- Wikipedia is not a soapbox or a vehicle for propaganda advocacy or advertising.
- A strong point of view expressed elsewhere on a subject does not necessarily mean POV-pushing editing on Wikipedia; that can only be determined by the edits to Wikipedia.
- Unexplained deletions of portions of controversial articles are unacceptable.
I am on probation at Wikipedia for trying to point out some of these problems and just might get my account blocked! :-)
Use Google to search for Ed Poor probation 
Last 48 articles I started:
- Drew Barrymore
- The Standard Deviations of Writing
- Bobby Darin
- User contributions
- Alice Miller
- Gavin de Becker
- Outer space
- Corporal punishment
- Seung-Hui Cho
- Human nature
- Media Matters for America
- Ave Maria
- Alpha male
- Peter principle
- Murphy's law
- How do Wikipedians see Conservapedia
- Abortion controversy
- Wikipedia:Writing for the enemy
- Flying machine
- Anthropogenic global warming theory
- Debate:Is waterboarding torture
- Drunk driving
- Monopoly (board game)
- Mass murder
- Terms to avoid
- Edit conflict
- General Theory of Evolution
- Ich bin ein Berliner
- Instant messaging
- Runaway greenhouse effect
- Kyoto Protocol
- Air pollution
- Primate (church)
- Slamming the door
- Wikipedia:POV pushing
These are the previous 50 articles I started:
- Right to life movement
- Saline abortion
- Comfort women
- Silent scream
- Speech codes
- Balint Vazsonyi
- Theory and fact
- Wiki way
- Red link
- The word
- Getting Better
- Brian Mitchell
- How to write a Conservapedia article
- Unguided evolution
- Conscientious objector
- National Center for Science Education
- I Have a Dream
- Paul Simon
- Political spectrum
- Sit-ins at lunch counters
- Wikipedia:Avoid personal remarks
- Diane Ravitch
- George Carlin
- The Manchurian Candidate
- Suffolk Punch
- Riders of the Purple Sage
- The Family Man
- Frank Sinatra
- To Sir, With Love
- Methods of contraception
- Blood type
- The Paradoxical Commandments
- Carbon dioxide
Who do you think you are?
Q: Is this your personal blog, or what?!
A: No, but it just so happens that nearly every word I type, link I create, article or template I start - gains instant and widespread acceptance.
Q: Isn't that a bit arrogant?
A: Okay, I guess you're right. Perhaps I should be more humble.
There was a time when Wikipedia was a meritocracy, and I rose rapidly through the ranks then. I got Jimbo to create the Mediation and Arbitration committee's, so he wouldn't have to be the sheriff all the time. I became the first elected bureaucrat, and pioneered the system whereby admins could enforce rules without having to take everything before a committee.
My only worry about Conservapedia is that it might make the equal and opposite mistake; it has certainly been accused of it, hundreds of times. But senior staff have been amazingly tolerant of opposing ideas here so far and I reason to hope they will continue to do so.
I don't understand what you mean by "transclude." What is it you would like me to do, specifically? DrSandstone 12:56, 10 May 2007 (EDT)
Walt Disney - not a problem.... Sevenstring 23:12, 1 June 2007 (EDT)