World Heritage Sites are designated by UNESCO to identify, protect and preserve areas of cultural and natural heritage of "outstanding value to humanity". There are currently 962 sites around the world designated as World Heritage Sites (745 cultural, 188 natural and 29 mixed).
- Heritage is our legacy from the past, what we live with today, and what we pass on to future generations. Our cultural and natural heritage are both irreplaceable sources of life and inspiration. Places as unique and diverse as the wilds of East Africa’s Serengeti, the Pyramids of Egypt, the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and the Baroque cathedrals of Latin America make up our world’s heritage. (Cfr:ibidem)
Lists of World Heritage Sites
- List of World Heritage Sites in Africa
- List of World Heritage Sites in Arab States
- List of World Heritage Sites in Asia and the Pacific
- List of World Heritage Sites in Europe and North America
- List of World Heritage Sites in Latin America and the Caribbean