San Francisco de Campeche (Campeche City), capital of the state of Campeche, Mexico, has recovered his ancient name: San Francisco de Campeche. This city was named "World Heritage Site" by UNESCO in 1999. Campeche used to be the principal town of the Mayan province of Cam Pech, which means "Place of the Boa serpent" and which was founded around the 3rd century A. D. In 1541 the Spanish Francisco de Montejo founded the "Villa de San Francisco de Campeche". For centuries this town was pummeled by pirate attacks. Campeche City is a walled one of Mexico's best-preserved historic centers. It has a system of fortifications that includes Forts, Baluartes (Bastions) with cannons on the battlement roof, defensive walls and harbor military facilities. San Francisco de Campeche is an example of the military architecture of the 17th and 18th centuries. This fortifications may be seen along a seaside promenade.
Interesting sites within the historic center of Campeche include the Cathedral, built in 1540 and the oldest on the Yucatan Peninsula, the San Franciscan Church also built in the 16th century, The Casa 6 (House 6), the Carvajal Mansion, the protective walls and garrisons and the colonial houses.