Quite a number of classic children's stories involve orphans. This suggest an article idea.
Since there is no prohibition on "original research" here, I just might take a crack it this. (Someone, please twist my arm! ;-)
A little quiz
According to the Grimm Brothers in "Children's and Household Tales," in the 1884 translation by Margaret Hunt:
When the oldest daughter tries on the slipper, what reveals her as an imposter?
- a) She can't get the slipper on.
- b) The slipper breaks when she squeezes her oversided foot into it.
- c) She is unable to suppress a cry of pain after she forces it on.
- d) She cuts off her toe so the slipper will fit, and telltale blood trickles out of it.
Cinderella's slippers are of what kind?
- a) Silk
- b) Gossamer
- c) Glass
- d) Golden
What happens to the oldest sister at Cinderella's wedding?
- a) A pigeon pecks out one of her eyes.
- b) She marries the prince's brother.
- c) The guests laugh at her missing toe.
- d) A pigeon pecks out one of her eyes as they enter the church, then as they leave the church the pigeons come back and peck out her other eye.
- I'm gonna guess D-D-D because I once was asked by my friend's (German) wife to read some "nice bedtime stories", and I had to stop. They were too horrible even for adult. --Ed Poor 15:29, 21 April 2007 (EDT)
- Well, I see I was right, but I was not glad to read this story, which is a sad tale and grim. --Ed Poor 15:37, 21 April 2007 (EDT)
Very good! You are in-D-ed skilled at quizmanship. Points will be taken off for any further uses of the word "grim." Now, for extra credit:
In the story of "The Frog-King, or Iron Henry" how does the princess transform a frog into a "king's son with kind and beautiful eyes?"
- a) By sprinkling the frog with holy water
- b) By kissing the frog
- c) By saying a magic spell over the frog
- d) By throwing the frog with all her might against the wall
Hint: think feminist. Dpbsmith 15:38, 21 April 2007 (EDT)
And now, let's see if I can get myself blocked:
In the story of "The Beam," what does the sorceror do to the clever girl who reveals his secret?
- a) Turns her into a magpie
- b) Tricks her brother into poisoning her
- c) Tricks her into "standing with her clothes lifted up" so that all the people "chase her away with ridicule and laughter"
- d) Condemns her to spend her life spinning flax
(For the record: these quiz questions are my own work, but have appeared previously elsewhere). Dpbsmith 15:44, 21 April 2007 (EDT)
- Hint: next time don't give it away so easily. And if you like, we can collaborate on Grimm's Fairy Tales or The Brothers Grimm (pick any title you like).