|Party leader||Zehava Gal-On|
|Political ideology||Social democracy|
|International affiliation||Socialist International|
Meretz Is an Israeli Leftist social democratic party. It was formed in 1992 from the merger of three leftist parties - Mapam, Ratz and Shinui. In the latest elections to the Knesset it won six seats.
The party supports the formation of a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, despite the inherent dangers such a state will pose to Israel. For example, former IDF Chief of Staff Moshe Yaalon said that a Palestinian state will work against Israel and will seek its destruction. The party also supports full Israeli withdrawal from the Golan Heights in order to let Syria take over this terrirtory, despite the fact that such a move will put Israel’s security in serious jeopardy.
The Meretz party is outspoken in its support of the homosexual agenda. Meretz’s openly homosexual member of Knesset Nitzan Horowitz has worked to legalize same-sex "marriage". Uzi Even, a former member of Knesset from Meretz, is also an open homosexual. In addition to its regular youth movement, Meretz has a separate youth movement called Our Colors, devoted exclusively to advancing the homosexual agenda.
In regards to fiscal matters the party takes a socialist approach. Meretz is a member of the Socialist International and its former chairwoman Shulamit Aloni has expressed admiration for Rosa Luxemburg.
Ever since its foundation Meretz has longstanding ties with terrorist individuals and groups. Shulamit Aloni, who would later become one of the party's Members of Knesset and its first leader, met Yasir Arafat and other top PLO officials in 1989. She would meet with Arafat again in 2002 at his compound.
Former Meretz member of Knesset Haim Oron is a good friend of convicted murderer and terrorist Marwan Barghouti and has visited him in prison several times. Fidel Castro's regime, which is supportive of Palestinian terrorism, had also kept ties with Meretz. David Rot, a member of the party who had an instrumental role in fostering its ties with the Castro regime, received a medal from the Cuban government in 1999.
- Meretz on the Knesset's website
- Meretz: Interview with Haim Oron
- ‘Tel Aviv will be like Sderot’ - Ynet
- The Golan Heights and the Facts – Ariel Center for Policy Research
- Essentials of the Meretz Platform
- First-term Meretz MK to present bill for gay and civil marriages - Haaretz
- Israel’s first gay MP enters parliament
- Protesters: Peres won’t put us back in the closet – Ynet
- A full list of the SI membership can be seen on their website.
- A red, red Rosa (not to mention green and pink) - Haaretz
- 3 PLO officials get visas for New York conference - Houston Chronicle
- Marwan Barghouti, Amos Oz, Haim Oron and a tale of darkness - The Jerusalem Post
- Castro's Anti-Semitism and the PLO
- history of David Rot