Zapping the Shrinks
Zapping the Shrinks is the anti-scientific method used by the proponents of totalitarian LGBT ideology for influencing the decision-making process of American Psychiatric Association (APA) that finally lead to removal of homosexuality from the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual's list of mental disorders after the the Board of the APA voting on December 15, 1973. As Frank Kameny, the leader of the movement that included the coercive actions and attacks on APA conferences with wildly painted faces and disrupting the proceedings, put it: "At that point they were afraid to say no to us. So they said yes."
In broader sense, 'Zapping the Shrinks' represents attempts for promoting own hidden agenda by means of coercive actions, political pressure, and underhanded and manipulative methods, under the fig leaf of science. Where 'Zapping the Shrinks' approach prevails, the free, unbiased and open scientific research as well as an open dialogue ends. It is replaced by totalitarian cherry-picking the results and research that supports the hidden promoted agenda and any disturbing or unwelcome evidence is suppressed. Political stances begin to override any scientific data.
In 1963 committee on Public Health from the New York Academy of Medicine reported that homosexuality is indeed an illness. The homosexuals are emotionally disturbed individuals who have not acquired the normal capacity to develop satisfying heterosexual relations. Some homosexuals have gone beyond the plane of defensiveness and started to argue that deviancy is a “desirable, noble, preferable way of life.” After the 1971 annual convention in Washington where attack of gay activists took place, the APA, and leaders of the LGBT movement Kameny and Barbara Gittings negotiated over an imposed presence for homosexuals at the APA conferences. The way how it happened was that the APA bent over backwards to be understanding and open and left an open door for people to rush in and use it for other than scientific purposes, for political purposes. Gradually it became part of the movement for diversity under the pretence of bringing all under-represented people into psychology. This was a very lofty idea on the surface but it became at the end a bias. Just 10 years later – with no significant new scientific evidence – the homosexual activists’ argument became the new standard within psychiatry. 1979 APA president Nicholas Cummings, who was very active in helping gays to be accepted in APA, maintains that gradually cherry-picking scientific results became the modus operandi and the gay rights movement sort of captured the APA. Further on, an APA committee that considered the possibility of successful reparative therapy would not permit supporters of that therapy on the committee. “[T]his kind of bias prevails in the APA all under the scientific aura,” he said. “[T]he APA has become a monolith. ...The APA has become politically correct. Political correctness rules not science.”
- Mark Meinke. Zapping the Shrinks, May 3, 1971. The Rainbow History Project : Preserving Our Community's Memories. Retrieved on June 21, 2013. “Earlier in April, the newly formed Gay Activists Alliance/DC (GAA), the Gay Liberation Front-DC (GLF) and the Mattachine Society of Washington had laid plans for a major zap of the APA's Convocation. Perry Brass recalls (in his Come Out article chronicling Gay MayDay and the zap) that six members of GAA were given copies of the statement to be read to the psychiatrists following the disruption of the convocation. …... [Following the GayMayDay demonstrations] About thirty people from the GayMayDay Tribe including several members of the Washington commune [GLF House, 1620 S St. NW, Washington, DC] piled into a VW van and a few cars and headed for the [hotel]. Half of the men were in really fabulous drag with wildly painted faces, that accentuated the spontaneous, liberating attitude of brothers in drag ..."…Dr. Kameny recalls "At that point they were afraid to say no to us. So they said yes."”
- Terry A. Hurlbut (Ausgust 24, 2013). Homosexuality: Open Letter to Christie. Conservative News and Views. Retrieved on September 9, 2013. “In fact, the APA made their 1973 decision, only after active, practicing homosexuals gained a majority in the APA and took over the editorship of the DSM. Determined as they were never to change, they declared that they, and others like them, weren’t sick. They grudgingly admitted some people didn’t like that tendency. Then in 1987 they struck the phrase “ego-dystonic homosexuality” from their catalog of mental illness. (The International Classification of Disease still lists it. Or did, as of this publication.)”
- Interview With Dr. Nicholas Cummings at 2011 NARTH Convention in Phoenix Arizona. NARTH (April 3, 2012). Retrieved on June 21, 2013. “"Political Correctness Rules, Not Science," Says American Psychological Association Past-President in Interview with Dr. Nicolosi …"Unbiased, Open Research [on Homosexuality] Was Never Done," Says Former A.P.A. President in Interview”
- Jeffrey Satinover (1996). "1.Neither Scientific nor Democratic", Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth. Baker Books. ISBN 9781441212931.
- Former APA Presidents. American Psychological Association. Retrieved on June 21, 2013. “1979 Nicholas A. Cummings, PhD”