Aarau was founded in 1240 by the counts of Kyborg but passed to the Hapsburgs 24 years later. The Hapsburgs constructed their palace the Hapichtsburg (“Hawk’s Palace”) on the outskirts of the city.
It passed into the hands of the Bermese in 1415, who constructed the medieval Lenzburg castle as well as a cantonal library which now contains a Bible annotated by Hulrich Zwingli. In 1798, the city passed into the hands of the Helvetian Republic.
- ’’Britannica Atlas’’.
- ”Aarau”. ‘’The New Encyclopedia Britannica”. 15th ed., Vol. 1