An Amendment can be proposed in two ways:
- Both houses of Congress must vote for it with a two thirds majority.
- Two-thirds of the state legislatures may ask Congress to call a national convention on account of their proposed amendment.
The second method has never been used.
An Amendment can be ratified in two ways:
- Three-fourths of the state legislatures vote in approval of the amendment.
- Conventions in three-fourths of the states ratify the amendment.
- US Senate Reference
- U.S Government and Politics