American History Homework Two Answers - Student Eight
1. 1)The colonists were used to having freedom of religion and from taxation that they strongly opposed the efforts to collect taxes from them by England.
2) The colonists were taxed at a bad time;they were just recovering from the French and Indian War.
3) Many of the colonists were not of English heritage and they did not see a reason why they should pay taxes to the English.
2. The colonists used the phrase "taxation without representation" to point out to the King that they were not represented in the British Parliament because the could not elect anyone who would be making these decisions for them.
3. The Boston Tea Party was the event when Samuel Adams and his group of colonists, disguised as Indians, boarded the ships and dumped all the tea into the Boston Harbor. This was the start of the American Revolution.
4. I blame Tituba for the Salem Witch Trials because instead of denying that she was guilty, she "confessed" most likely to gain attention and more respect from the townspeople. She also helped the trials to continue by giving names of other townswomen whom she said were witches; maybe for revenge for something they had done to her.
5. True, because the colonists did not want the Anglican King to force them to practice the Anglican faith. Since there was religious freedom there was no need for conflict.
6. I think that the jury should be able to ignore the law in order to find a defendant" not guilty", because if the jury entirely believes that this incident should not be considered a crime, they should have the opportunity to favor the defendant.
7. This political cartoon of a serpent cut into pieces represent the colonies. Just like a snake cannot survive or function if its body parts are not connected the colonies' tiny armies and divided populations could not survive against England's vast army, but combined together their dream and goal was made possible. I think the cartoon was made in 1774 when the tension started to rise.