(This article refers to the program, not the word)
Audacity is a free, open source multi-track audio editing computer program, which is developed by volunteers. This program is compatible with a variety of operating systems, including Windows, Mac X, and Linux systems.
- Record live audio.
- Record computer playback on any Windows Vista or later machine.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit WAV, AIFF, FLAC, MP2, MP3 or Ogg Vorbis sound files.
- AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC), WMA and other formats supported using the optional FFmpeg library
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Numerous effects including change speed or pitch and vocal reduction or isolation (given suitable stereo tracks).
- And more! See the complete list of features.