Chrono Trigger's plot centers around the idea of time travel. Crono and his friends, accidentally transported into the past by a mysterious amulet, begin an adventure that takes them from Prehistoric times to a distant, post-apocalyptic future. Eventually, they seek to defeat Lavos, a creature which sleeps at the earth's core until awaking in 1999 AD to destroy civilization.
- Crono: The silent protagonist who uses a katana.
- Marle: A tomboy princess, she wields a crossbow.
- Lucca: A genius inventor, she creates the devices which send the party through time.
- Frog: A swordsman who was cursed to become a frog by the sorcerer Magus.
- Robo: A robot from 2300 AD who joins the party after being fixed by Lucca.
- Ayla: A pugilist cavewoman.
- Magus: The mysterious sorcerer, who leads an army of monsters and attempts to summon Lavos to 600 AD.