|U.S. Representative from North Carolina's 9th Congressional District|
From: September 17, 2019 – present
|Successor||Incumbent (no successor)|
|Former State Senator from North Carolina's 39th District|
From: January 1, 2017 – September 17, 2019
|Former State Representative from North Carolina's 104th District|
From: January 1, 2015 – January 1, 2017
James Daniel Bishop (born July 1, 1964, age 58) is an attorney and conservative Republican serving as the current U.S. representative from North Carolina's 9th district. He was previously a state senator from North Carolina's 39th district, and a state representative from the state's 104th district prior to that.
North Carolina House of Representatives
Rep. Bishop was among the four sponsors of the HB 2 "bathroom bill" that would limit bathroom use to biological sex.
North Carolina Senate
Sen. Bishop co-sponsored a bill in March 2019 to extend the statute of limitations for child sexual abuse.
Bishop voted in favor of a "born-alive" bill that would require medical care for infants who survive abortions and punish doctors that fail to do so. The measure was ultimately vetoed by Democrat governor Roy Cooper, and the attempt to override the veto failed.
U.S. House of Representatives
2019 special election
After an scandal embroiled in the 2018 U.S. House election in North Carolina's 9th district and the results were refused certification, a 2019 special election was triggered, with Bishop running for the seat and winning by a close margin of just 2% of the vote.
It was reported in November 2019 that a socialist mob had attacked Bishop's son, who was a member of the conservative organization Turning Point USA. (see also: Left-wing violence in the Trump era)
- HB 465 - Amends Regulations Regarding Abortion - North Carolina Key Vote
- HB 2 - Requires Individuals to Use Bathroom of Biological Sex - North Carolina Key Vote
- SB 75 - Establishes a 7 Percent Cap on State Income Tax - North Carolina Key Vote
- SB 199 - Extends Statute of Limitations for Child Sexual Abuse - North Carolina Key Vote
- SB 359 - Establishes Requirements for Abortions Resulting in Premature Birth - North Carolina Key Vote
- Understanding the election scandal in North Carolina’s 9th district
- North Carolina Special Election Results: Ninth House District
- HR 3 - Lower Drug Costs Now Act of 2019 - National Key Vote
- H Res 755 - Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors - National Key Vote
- HR 5430 - United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement Implementation Act - National Key Vote
- H J Res 79 - Removing the deadline for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment - National Key Vote
- Two references: