Essay:Greatest Myths of American History
Here is a growing list of the greatest myths or falsehoods taught about American history:
- that a "triangular trade" existed in the 17th and 18th centuries with the New World
- that the Founding Fathers were deists; in fact, only Thomas Paine was
- that Thomas Jefferson was the originator of the key concepts in the Declaration of Independence
- that James Madison was the "father of the Constitution"
- that the Constitution established a wall of separation between church and state
- that government regulation brought American prosperity
- that President FDR brought the United States out of the Great Depression
- that President LBJ's Great Society alleviated poverty
- that President Ronald Reagan's foreign policy was not key to ending the Cold War.
- In fact, no specific "triangular" trade route has ever been identified and it is unlikely that there was significant sale of goods to Africa at that time. The term was invented by an historian more than 100 years later.