Essay: PZ Myers' greatest fear
- 1 PZ Myers and health issues
- 2 Evolutionists who have had problems with being overweight and/or obese
- 3 Atheists and physical and mental health related problems associated with obesity
- 4 See also
- 5 External Links
- 6 Notes
PZ Myers and health issues
A 2009 picture of a significantly overweight PZ Myers can be found HERE. A 2010 picture taken in Australia shows PZ Myers drinking ale/beer and he had excess weight in his abdominal area. In 2010, PZ Myers had health problems related to his heart. In addition, medical science research indicates that excess weight impairs brain function. Given PZ Myers' biological training and the wide dissemination of the health effects of being overweight in terms of cardiovascular health and brain function, it is unfortunate that preventative medicine was not used in greater measure in terms of his health. PZ Myers' inattention to diligently implementing the recommendations of medical science is not entirely surprising given his vehement advocacy of evolutionary pseudoscience. There have been a number of notable evolutionists who have been overweight.
New atheism leadership's problems with being overweight
In addition, PZ Myer's is a promoter of New Atheism which is a militant form of atheism. The New Atheism leadership has had significant issues with being overweight (please see: New Atheism leadership's problem with excess weight).
Vox Day on the issue of atheism and obesity
In 2011, Vox Day had an individual complain about the notion that the atheist community has a problem with obesity (Please see: Atheism and obesity). As a result, on May 19, 2011, Vox Day released a blog post entitled Mailvox: now, who said atheists are fat? where 80% of the people taking a picture with PZ Myers were overweight and PZ Myers was overweight in the picture as well as can be seen HERE. The picture was originally posted on PZ Myer's blog Pharyngula by Myers on May 16, 2011 and an online argument quickly ensued concerning the appearance of the photograph's participants.
Evolutionists who have had problems with being overweight and/or obese
A list of evolutionists who who have had problems with being overweight and/or obese can be found here:
Some of the medical conditions associated with obesity include: type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and triglycerides, coronary artery disease (CAD), stroke, arthritis, cancer, sleep apnea, reproductive problems in women and varicose veins. In addition, medical science research indicates that excess weight impairs brain function.
According to the Mayo Clinic some of the symptoms associated with obesity can include:
Concerning the issue of depression, atheists do have higher rates of suicide than the general population.
- Resources for leaving atheism and becoming a Christian
- Evidence for Christianity
- Pharyngula (blog)
- Professor PZ Myers fails his applied biology course
- PZ Myers embarrasses himself at the Creation Museum - satire
- Atheism and obesity
- Comedy and satires concerning atheism and evolution (large collection of comedy/satire concerning atheism and evolution)
- Overweight atheists comedy and satire
- PZ Myers - Christian rebuttals by True Free Thinker
- 15 year old Christian boy debates Matt Dillahunty and another atheist
- Obesity Linked to Changes In Cognitive Patterns
- As Waistlines Widen, Brains Shrink
- Physical Activity Self-Monitoring and Weight Loss: 6-Month Results of the SMART Trial
- Body-mass index and mortality among 1.46 million white adults