Glock 17 Design
Glock's G17 fires a 9mm Parabellum round, uses the Glock Safe Action system. The Glock 17's fire power is a 17-round standard capacity magazine (which gun control advocates mistakenly call a "high capacity magazine")
Glock's G17 model of pistol was first developed in the early 1980s to replace the Walther P38 service pistol in the Austrian army. Since then, the Glock 17 and its other caliber variants have become quite popular as military and law enforcement firearms, being exported in more than 50 countries.
The Glock 17 has a metal slide and a polymer receiver. The Glock 17 has a unique safe action mechanism and, unlike most handguns, do not have any external safety on/off lever. No external safety lever means that there is no risk of the shooter either forgetting or not realizing that the safety is on during a threat or emergency situation. The Glock handguns are prevented from being fired accidentally by the user by a triple safety system, dubbed the safe action trigger by Glock. The safe action mechanism includes a drop safety which prevents the handgun from firing if dropped.
Glock 17 Variants
- 9x19mm for Glock 17, Glock 19, and Glock 26
Glock 17 Alternative Models
- .380 ACP for Glock 42, Glock 25, and Glock 28
- .357 SIG for Glock 31, Glock 32, and Glock 33
- .40 S&W for Glock 22, Glock 23, and Glock 27
- .45 ACP for M1911, Glock 21 and Glock 30
- .45 GAP for Glock 37, Glock 38, and Glock 39
- 10mm Auto for Glock 20 and Glock 29
- Laser sight
- Lone Wolf compensator barrel
Appeal for Home Security
Glocks in general are all very popular handguns, particularly for home security, for many reasons:
- Lighter weight due to their polymer frames
- Unique Safe Action system
- The most accessories available for any handgun ever invented
- Generally considered to be extremely reliable
- Optional 33 round magazine available for great firepower
- Glock magazines of similar caliber are interchangeable with other similar caliber Glocks. Surprisingly, this is not common in most other handguns. This means you can put a higher capacity 33 round or 17 round 9mm Glock 17 magazine into a medium frame Glock 19 or a small frame pocket pistol Glock 26. See http://gunbot.net/mags/Glock.
- http://glockpics.com/blog/glock-model-comparison-table Accessed March 29, 2014