Harun Yahya is the pseudonym of Adnan Oktar (February 2, 1956), a Turkish cult leader and criminal. He is an Islamic creationist who opposes the teaching of Intelligent Design theory. Yahya is a Holocaust denier.
Atlas of Creation
- See also: Global creationism
The Atlas of Creation is a series of Islamic creationist books, written by Adnan Oktar under the pen name Harun Yahya.
The first volume of Atlas of Creation contains over 800 glossy pages and weighs 12 pounds (5.4 kg). The Turkish original was translated into English, German, Chinese, French, Dutch, Italian, Urdu, Hindi and Russian.
Tens of thousands of copies of the book have been sent, on an unsolicited basis to schools and to prominent researchers and research institutes throughout Europe and the United States.
The books caused a furor in Europe and the Committee on Science and Education of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe issued a report.
According to Time magazine, "The source of the funds that support Yahya's Science Research Foundation remains a well-kept secret."
July 2018 arrest and criminal charges
On July 11, 2018, the financial crimes section of the Turkish police detained Oktar and over 160 of his associates on charges including forming a criminal enterprise, financial fraud and sexual abuse. Other charges Oktar faces range from sexual intercourse with minors and kidnapping children to holding people captive, political and military espionage, money laundering and torture.
On July 19, 2018, Adnan Oktar was remanded into custody pending trial along with 168 of his associates. In addition, after Oktar's initial arrest, over 45 people from over six countries, including two children, have pressed charges against him.
- The Hedonistic, Possibly Holocaust-Denying Sect That’s Hoodwinking Republican Congressmen
- In France, a Muslim Offensive Against Evolution
- Reuters July 11, 2018. Turkish police launch raids to detain Islamic figure, followers https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-operation/turkish-police-launch-raids-to-detain-islamic-figure-followers-idUSKBN1K10GT
- Turkish televangelist Adnan Oktar arrested over sexual abuse, fraud charges.
- Court remands Turkish televangelist pending trial.
- "Adnan Oktar kimdir: 40 yılda 'Adnan Hoca Grubu'ndan 'silahlı suç örgütü liderliği' suçlamasına", BBC News, 2019-07-12. (Turkish)
- Istanbul court approves indictment of televangelist - Turkey News (English).