Hill of Crosses
Premusably the first crosses were placed there in 1831 by relatives of rebels, who felt in a rebellion. 1863 the number of crosses increased. In 1938 there were about 400 crosses. Militant atheist government of Soviet Union damaged the Hill of Crosses. In 1961 bulldozers destroyed the place. But the people continued to add crosses. In 1993 the place was visited by Pope John Paul II.