Logan International Airport
Logan International Airport was named in honor of Lieutenant General Edward Lawrence Logan. On June 13, 1923, Boston's first aircraft touched down on a 1,500 foot cinder runway (piloted by Lt. Kitchell Snow) on the then tiny airfield known as Boston Airport built by the U.S. Army on 189 acres of tidal flats. On September 8, 1923, Boston Airport was officially dedicated. It then changed in 1944 to Commonwealth Airport, and in 1956 the Airport was officially renamed by the state legislature, Logan International Airport.