|U.S. Senator from Alabama|
From: February 9, 2017 – January 3, 2018
|Attorney General of Alabama|
From: January 17, 2011 – February 9, 2017
Luther Johnson Strange, III, is a former interim U.S. Senator for the state of Alabama. He succeeded Jeff Sessions, when U.S. President Donald Trump named Sessions as the United States Attorney General.
As the previous Alabama Attorney General, Strange tried to weaken the state's tough anti-illegal immigrant laws. Despite campaigning against "unfair trade deals," Strange helped pass the Dominican Republic-Central American Free Trade Agreement, which hurt many Alabamians. In his Senate election campaign, Stange was supported by the GOP establishment, including Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, an Alabama native who represents Kentucky in the Senate, along with organizations such as the globalist Chamber of Commerce and the establishment National Right to Life Committee.
2017 U.S. Senate Alabama special election/Republican primary
Strange sought the Republican nomination for his seat in the special runoff election on September 26, 2017. He faced conservative Roy Moore, a former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court who led in the balloting in the August primary. Despite massively outspending Moore in the primary, Moore defeated Stange in the runoff. Moore then faced the liberal Democrat Doug Jones, a former U.S. Attorney, in the December 12 special general election.
"Big Luther" is 6 feet 9 inches tall, making him the tallest U.S. Senator in history.
- Profile at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Where do Roy Moore, Luther Strange attend church?
- Poor, Jeff (September 19, 2017). Luther Strange Sought to Weaken Alabama’s Tough Immigration Law. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 19, 2017.
- Carney, John; Boyle, Matthew (September 21, 2017). Exclusive — Make Central America Great Again: Luther Strange Lobbied for Trade Deal That Drained Thousands of Alabama Jobs to Honduras, Mexico. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 21, 2017.
- Boyle, Matthew (September 7, 2017). Chamber of Commerce Throws Globalist Open Borders Weight Behind Struggling Luther Strange. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 7, 2017.
- Berry, Susan (September 21, 2017). Establishment Pro-Life Organization Supported John Boehner, Now Luther Strange. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 22, 2017.
- Poor, Jeff (September 27, 2017). Analysis: Up to $137 Per Vote Spent on Luther Strange’s Behalf in AL Senate Race. Breitbart News. Retrieved September 27, 2017.
- Kamisar, Ben (September 26, 2017). Moore wins Alabama primary. The Hill. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Alan Simpson Is No Longer the Tallest Senator, and He’s OK With That