Monarchianism, also called Monarchism, is the doctrinal teaching that God is One Person, One Being, in complete opposition to the Christian doctrine of the Trinity, which Christian monarchists absolutely reject and repudiate as a pagan heresy. This doctrine was condemned as a heresy in several ecumenical councils of catholic orthodox Christianity. It gave rise to several heretical movements, some of them represented even now.
The three most popular forms of Monarchianism proposed in the history of Christian theological controversies, are Dynamic Monarchianism, Modalistic Monarchianism and Adoptionist Monarchianism. The first teaches that the One God is the Father alone, who became incarnate as Jesus Christ and suffered crucifixion, died and rose again, usually called Patripassionism (the Father suffered the Passion), and then God radiated his blessed influence over true believers in his Spirit of Love and Power. The second form teaches that God has manifested in three modalities, three modes of being: first as the Father, then as the Son, then as the Holy Spirit; all three are one Person of One God acting in three distinctly separate modes of activity fulfilling three successive offices of activity and ministry. The third teaches that God completely adopted and took to himself the human person and being of Jesus of Nazareth so completely that Jesus was given a full share in the operations of the divinity of God.
All forms of Monarchianism deny that Jesus is God the Son from all eternity, "born before all ages, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten not made, consubstantial (one substance of being) with the Father in the unity of the Holy Spirit", denying the doctrine of the fully complete God-man, both fully God by nature and fully human by nature and the Divine Son of the Father.
- The Trinity Doctrine Is Pagan, By Pastor G. Reckart, Pastor (jesus-messiah.com) "The Trinitarian Heresy of the Council of Nicaea".
- What is Dynamic Monarchianism? (gotquestions.org)
- Monarchianism (orthodoxwiki.org)
- Monarchianism, Matt Slick - CARM Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry (carm.org)
- Monarchians - Catholic Encyclopedia (newadvent.org) Dynamists, Adoptionists, Modalists
- Monarchianism - New World Encyclopedia (newworldencyclopedia.org)
- Faith Groups That Reject the Trinity Doctrine (thoughtco.com)
- Heresies: Then and Now, Jason Barker (watchman.org) Offers scriptural refutations