Most read Bible verses
- "The time will come when these things which are now hidden from you will be brought into the light."The most-read Bible verses begin with John 3:16 and then include passages from both the New Testament and the Old Testament. The top ten verses according to a study done by biblegateway.com are (quoting the ESV here):
- John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
- Jer 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
- Rom 8:28: And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
- Phil 4:13: I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
- Gen 1:1: In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
- Prov 3:5: Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
- Prov 3:6: In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
- Rom 12:2: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
- Phil 4:6: Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
- Matt 28:19: Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
Interestingly, John 1:1 ("In the beginning was the Word ....") is not in the top ten. It is ranked number 68.
Favorite Bible Quotes by Great Thinkers
Georg Cantor dedicated his final published work to a passage in 1 Corinthians: "The time will come when these things which are now hidden from you will be brought into the light."
Other Often-Quoted Passages
Against selling out:
- Mark 8:36 - For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?
- Matthew 16 - For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
- Luke 9:25 - For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?
- Luke 12:19,20 - And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.” 20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul is required of you, and the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’