Olomouc is a city in the region of Moravia, in the northeast of the Czech Republic. The city lies along the Morava River at its confluence with the Bystřice River. The city has a population of 100,154 (2016).
Olomouc's historic buildings include the 14th-century Gothic St. Wenceslas’ Cathedral, with a 328-foot (100-metre) tower, and the town hall, which is adorned by a 230-foot (70-metre) tower and a 15th-century astronomical clock (restored after being damaged in World War II). Olomouc is also known for its fountains, notable among which are Triton (1707) and Caesar's (1720). Standing at 115 feet (35 metres) tall, the Holy Trinity Column is a classic example of the Olomouc Baroque style; it was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2000. The city's university was founded in 1573; it was suppressed in 1854 but was revived after World War II and named after František Palacký, the Czech patriot-scholar. The city's manufactures include steel, machine tools, gas appliances, refrigerators, salt, sugar, chocolate, malt, and beer.
Holy Trinity Column
The Holy Trinity Column, erected in the early years of the 18th century, is the most outstanding example of a type of monument specific to central Europe. In the characteristic regional style known as Olomouc Baroque and rising to a height of 35 m, it is decorated with many fine religious sculptures, the work of the distinguished Moravian artist Ondrej Zahner.