The remnant is a concept of the Old Testament that only a small fraction of mankind are chosen or called by God. This concept is referenced in multiple key passages of the Old Testament (80 times in ESV), most notably in the Book of Isaiah (16 times in ESV). This concept is also used throughout The Gospels (except the Book of John), in many letters by Saints Paul, Timothy and Peter, and 8 times in the Book of Revelation, with the Greek word λοιπός (loipos).
- Isaiah 10:20-21 (Now it will come about in that day that the remnant of Israel, and those of the house of Jacob who have escaped, will never again rely on the one who struck them, but will truly rely on the Lord, the Holy One of Israel.
- A remnant will return, the remnant of Jacob, to the mighty God.)
- Isaiah 6:13
- (Yet there will be a tenth portion in it,
- And it will again be subject to burning,
- Like a terebinth or an oak
- Whose stump remains when it is felled.
- The holy seed is its stump.)
- Jeremiah 11:22-23 ([T]herefore thus says the Lord of hosts, "Behold, I am about to punish them! The young men will die by the sword, their sons and daughters will die by famine; and a remnant will not be left to them, for I will bring disaster on the men of Anathoth—the year of their punishment.")
- Jeremiah 23:2-3 (... declares the Lord. 3 “Then I Myself will gather the remnant of My flock out of all the countries where I have driven them and bring them back to their pasture, and they will be fruitful and multiply.")
- Zephaniah 2:9 (“The remnant of my people shall plunder them, and the survivors of my nation shall possess them.”)
- Romans 11:5 (In the same way then, there has also come to be at the present time a remnant according to God’s gracious choice.)
- Romans 9:27-28 (Isaiah cries out concerning Israel, “Though the number of the sons of Israel be like the sand of the sea, it is the remnant that will be saved; for the Lord will execute His word on the earth, thoroughly and quickly.”)
- Hebrews 11:7 (By faith Noah being warned by God about things not yet seen, in reverence prepared an ark for the salvation of his household, by which he condemned the world, and became an heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.)
At Malachi 3:16:
- and the LORD listened attentively;
- A record book* was written before him
- of those who fear the LORD and esteem his name.
- ↑ https://biblehub.com/greek/3062.htm
- ↑ Quotations are from the NASB.
- ↑ This quotation is from the New American Bible, see