Sebastian Kurz is the prime minister of Austria, serving since January 2020. He is a member of the establishment Austrian People's Party and leads a government coalition which includes the left-wing Green Party. From January 2017 to May 2019, he led a coalition government including the conservative Freedom Party of Austria.
Kurz is frequently labeled a "conservative," though in reality, he is a right-of-center liberal and moderate globalist. For example, in addition to attempting to willingly dissolving the FPÖ–ÖVP government, he also attempted to remove Austria's anti-mass migration interior minister from his position. On May 27, 2019, after Kurz ousted the FPÖ from the country's government, Austria's parliament pushed him out of office through a no-confidence vote. After a September 2019 election which saw Kurz and the ÖVP perform well, he created a coalition agreement with the leftist Green Party. He is confirmed as Young Global Leader member.
- ↑ Austrian chancellor proposes far-right interior minister be sacked. Reuters. May 20, 2019. Retrieved May 20, 2019.
- ↑ Multiple references:
- Tomlinson, Chris (May 27, 2019). OVERTHROWN: Austrian Government Collapses After No Confidence Vote. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 27, 2019.
- Pancevski, Bojan (May 27, 2019). Austrian Leader Ousted After Coalition’s Collapse. Breitbart News. Retrieved May 27, 2019.
- Murphy, Francois (May 27, 2019). Austrian lawmakers sack Kurz as video sting crisis rolls on. Reuters. Retrieved May 27, 2019.
- ↑ Multiple references:
- Pancevski, Bojan (January 1, 2020). Austrian Conservatives and Greens Form Coalition Government. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 1, 2020.
- Murphy, Francois (January 1, 2020). Austrian conservatives and Greens strike New Year's coalition deal. Reuters. Retrieved January 1, 2020.
- Sheftalovich, Zoya (January 2, 2020). Sebastian Kurz to return as Austrian chancellor after conservatives, Greens strike deal. Politico. Retrieved January 2, 2020.
- Jordans, Frank (January 4, 2020). Austria’s Greens clear final hurdle for government with Kurz. Associated Press. Retrieved January 4, 2020.
- Murphy, Francois (January 4, 2020). Austria's Greens overwhelmingly back coalition with conservatives. Reuters. Retrieved January 4, 2020.
- Murphy, Francois (January 2, 2020). Power imbalance in new Austrian coalition shows as deal is unveiled. Reuters. Retrieved January 2, 2020.
- Factbox: Highlights of Austrian conservative-Greens coalition deal. Reuters. January 2, 2020. Retrieved January 2, 2020.
- ↑ https://www.weforum.org/people/sebastian-kurz