As with many other Windows operating systems, there were several editions released. These editions included Professional, Server, Advanced Server, Standard, Small Business, Professional, Premium, Developer, and Datacenter Server. The latest version of Windows 2000 was build 2195 (Service Pack 4), which was released on September 13, 2005.
- Due to a legal settlement involving Sun Microsystems, Windows 2000 is not officially available for download. The only places it is offered are sources with questionable intent and security.
- Windows 2000 was the last Windows operating system to use the "boxy" grey skin by default. All later versions used a "fancier" style, while sometimes offering the Pre-Windows XP skin as a selectable option
- A planned consumer version for Windows 2000, code name Neptune, had a similar UI but was canceled.
- Windows 2000 beta due early next year
- Windows Codename 'Neptune': "The XP That Never Was..."