World War II: 1940
For World War II: 1939, see World War II: 1939
- February 14th: The British Government calls on Governors to fight in Finland.
- March 1st: Adolf Hitler directs his generals in planning the invasion of Denmark and Norway.
- March 18th: Hitler and Mussolini meet at the Brenner pass on the Austrian border
- May 8th: Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain barely survives Norway Debate vote in the House of Commons.
- May 9th: Conscription in England extended to age 36.
- June 15th: France officially surrenders to Germany at 01:35.