The Xbox is a video game console designed and produced by Microsoft Corporation. It was Microsoft's first system to be launched into the gaming console market, and competed with Sony's PlayStation 2, and the Nintendo GameCube. The Xbox was first released on November 15, 2001 in North America; February 22, 2002 in Japan; and on March 14, 2002 in Europe and Australia.
- Over 500 games available
- Exclusive titles include Full Spectrum Warrior, Dead or Alive 3, and Fable
- Franchises including Grand Theft Auto III, Need for Speed Underground, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell, and now EA Sports franchise Madden NFL, NCAA Football, and FIFA Soccer.
- Online multiplayer via Xbox Live
- CPU: 32-bit 733 MHz Pentium III Coppermine-based Mobile Celeron in Micro-PGA2 package. 180 nm process.
- SSE floating point SIMD. 4 single-precision floating point numbers per clock cycle.
- MMX integer SIMD.
- 133 MHz 64-bit GTL+ front side bus to GPU.
- 32 KB L1 cache. 128 KB on-die L2 "Advanced Transfer Cache".
- Shared memory subsystem
- 64 MB DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz; 6.4 GB/s
- Supplied by Hynix or Samsung depending on manufacture date and location.
- Graphics processing unit (GPU) and system chipset: 233 MHz "NV2A" ASIC. Co-developed by Microsoft and NVIDIA.
- 4 pixel pipelines with 2 texture units each
- 932 megapixels/second (233 MHz x 4 pipelines), 1,864 megatexels/second (932 MP x 2 texture units) (peak)
- 115 million vertices/second, 125 million particles/second (peak)
- Peak triangle performance: 29,125,000 32-pixel triangles/sec raw or w. 2 textures and lit.
- 485,416 triangles per frame at 60fps
- 970,833 triangles per frame at 30fps
- 4 textures per pass, texture compression, full scene anti-aliasing (NV Quincunx, supersampling, multisampling)
- Bilinear, trilinear, and anisotropic texture filtering
- 2x – 5x (2.6 MB/s – 6.6 MB/s) CAV DVD-ROM
- 8 or 10 GB, 3.5 in, 5,400 RPM hard disk. Formatted to 8 GB. FATX file system.
- Optional 8 MB memory card for saved game file transfer.
- Audio processor: NVIDIA "MCPX" (a.k.a. SoundStorm "NVAPU")
- 64 3D sound channels (up to 256 stereo voices)
- HRTF Sensaura 3D enhancement
- MIDI DLS2 Support
- Monaural, Stereo, Dolby Surround, Dolby Digital Live 5.1, and dts Surround (DVD movies only) audio output options
- Integrated 10/100BASE-TX wired ethernet
- DVD movie playback
- A/V outputs: composite video, S-Video, component video, SCART, Optical Digital TOSLINK, and stereo RCA analog audio
- Resolutions: 480i, 576i, 480p, 720p and 1080i
- Controller Ports: 4 proprietary USB ports
- Weight: 3.86 kg (8.5 lb)
- Dimensions: 320 × 100 × 260 mm (12.5 × 4 × 10.5 in)
- Standard AV Cable
- RF Adapter
- Advanced AV Pack
- High Definition AV Pack
- Advanced SCART Cable
- Ethernet (Xbox Live) Cable
- Xbox Wireless Adapter
- Xbox Live Starter Kit
- System Link Cable
- Xbox Windows Media Center Extender
- DVD Playback Kit
- Xbox Music Mixer
Controllers and removable storage
- Standard Xbox Controller
- Controller S