| Previous Breaking News:|
The word abstinence means refraining from indulging in an appetite.
In the 1800s and 1900s, the word "abstinence," used without other explanation, almost always meant abstinence from alcohol. The "abstinence movement," for example, led to the establishment of prohibition. Teetotaler meant someone who advocated "total abstinence," rather than just moderation.
Starting in about the 1990s, "abstinence" has been more commonly used in the context of abstinence from sexual intercourse, particularly in the United States in the context of sex education for adolescents. Thus, for example, we read in a 2002 White House policy statement:
- ..."the goal of Federal policy should be to emphasize abstinence as the only certain way to avoid both unintended pregnancies and STDs."
Studies of the effectiveness of abstinence education programs have yielded differing conclusions. A 2004 study by the conservative Heritage Foundation found that virginity pledges significantly reduce premarital sex without putting backsliders at risk. A study funded by the Administration of liberal President Bill Clinton through Mathematica Policy Research found that "the programs had no effect on the sexual abstinence of youth." But this study reached this liberal conclusion by omitting abstinence education during the pivotal high school years and by only following 4 elementary and middle school programs out of 700 total schools that had received funding.
Liberals oppose abstinence policies and Planned Parenthood, a powerful liberal organization, profits from teenage sexual activity. Yet the facts are undisputed: abstinent teens never get infected with STDs or become pregnant from having sex.
Benefits of Abstinence
- Peace of mind in one's life, future relationships, and marriage.
- More self-respect, respect for others, and respected from other people.
- Respect precedes love in a healthy relationship, while premarital sex throws away self-respect and the respect of the partner.
- Entering marriage with a more positive outlook and without emotional baggage.
- Personal freedom for both (future) marriage partners.
- Significantly better chance of a satisfying and stable marriage.
- Longer lasting relationship. Premarital sex breaks up more dating couples than any other factor.
- No sexual comparisons in marriage. The covenant of marriage entails "being free to enjoy maximum sex, maximum leisure, maximum satisfaction, and maximum liberty, in the way God intended."
- No worries about pregnancy.
- No worries about Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
- No worries about bad reputation.
- Premarital sex often fools a person into marrying someone who really is not right for them.
- No fears of rejection and reliance on another's mercy to keep the relationship going. More "experienced" individuals are generally less desirable and less respected as dating or marriage partners.
- There is a 98 percent chance that couples who meet in high school will not marry, so it is always better to maintain purity for the right person, the future wife or husband. 
Secular Progressive Assault
Abstinence is hated among the liberal population and they work hard to discount the benefits. An insult against Christian principle, Barack Obama has killed funding to abstinence in favor of sex-education.  Democrats continually roll-out studies claiming 'No Benefit' to abstinence prevention programs, when it is the best choice.
Liberals on social media websites have a coordinated Abstinence kills babies! campaign.  Their oh-so coy saying mockingly proclaims, "Every time I have my period and don't have sex, a baby dies."
- Abstinence is saying yes to the rest of your life
- HHS study reveals flaws in sex education
- Benefits of abstinence
- Title X vs. Abstinence Funding, Republican Study Committee, April 2006
- Parents for Truth is a national campaign of concerned parents who are committed to protecting their children’s health and future through abstinence education.
- National Abstinence Education Association The NAEA exists to serve, support and represent individuals and organizations in the practice of abstinence education.
Notes and references
- ↑ WORKING TOWARD INDEPENDENCE Encourage Abstinence and Prevent Teen Pregnancy, White House News and Policies, February 2002
- ↑ Teens Who Make Virginity Pledges Have Substantially Improved Life Outcomes by Robert E. Rector, Kirk A. Johnson, Ph.D., and Jennifer A. Marshall Center for Data Analysis Report #04-07 
- ↑ Impacts of Four Abstinence Education Programs
- ↑ http://www.frc.org/get.cfm?i=WU07D09
- ↑ http://www.ejhs.org/volume10/AZFchap1.htm
- ↑ Sexual Purity
- ↑ Obama Budget Eliminates Funding for Abstinence-Only Sex Education U.S. News, May 7, 2009
- ↑ Abstinence kills babies!Twitter.com