The Heritage Foundation is a conservative think-tank and educational institute based in Washington, D.C., in the United States. It is widely considered the most influential conservative think-tank in the world and one of the most influential think-tanks in the U.S. It was founded by Edwin Feulner and Paul Weyrich in 1973, with support from the Coors and Scaife families.
The foundation conducts basic research on public policy. Its stated mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional values, and a strong national defense.
The Heritage Foundation is also known for its influential conservative personnel, many of whom have served, or gone on to serve, in senior governmental roles, including: Richard V. Allen, L. Paul Bremer, Elaine Chao, Lawrence Di Rita, Michael Johns, John F. Lehman, Edwin Meese III, Steve Ritchie, and others. Other prominent Heritage Foundation alumni include conservative author Russell Kirk and Wall Street Journal editorial board member Stephen Moore.
The Heritage Foundation launched and once published Policy Review, an influential conservative journal, which it sold to the Hoover Institution in 2001.
Democrats claim that Obamacare is based on a 1989 Heritage Foundation proposal. In 2017, the Heritage Foundation lobbied against the GOP proposal to repeal and replace Obamacare. Following the defeat of the plan, President Trump tweeted:
In addition to news, Libertad also offers several Founding Documents that have been translated into Spanish such as the Declaration of Independence, the United States Constitution, and all 85 of the Federalist Papers.
- Abelson, Donald. E. Do think tanks matter?: assessing the impact of public policy institutes (2002) 251 pages excerpt and text search
- Blumenthal, Sidney. The Rise of the Counter-Establishment: The Conservative Ascent to Political Power (2008) excerpt and text search
- Edwards, Lee. The Power of Ideas: The Heritage Foundation at 25 Years (1997)
- List of conservative, neoconservative and libertarian think tanks
- Conservative blogs
- NNDB - The Heritage Foundation
- Morning Bell: Libertad!. Morning Bell (December 2, 2010).
- Documentos históricos.