"Covidiot" (a portmanteau of the COVID-19 virus and the word idiot) is a disparaging term used to refer to people, most often young people in the Millennial and GenZ age brackets, who choose to deliberately ignore current social and public health protocols involving dealing with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The term, which originated following news reports about young students on spring break in Florida who chose to party publicly despite recent warnings about the outbreak, includes the refusal - often deliberate - of such people to heed social distancing advisories to avoid potential spreading of COVID-19 from one person to another and who, under the influence of the liberal media and its irresponsible panic-inducing, TDS-influenced and politically motivated fake news reports on the pandemic as well as out of motivation by greed, selfishly engage in panic buying and hoarding of essential goods from supermarkets, drugstores and department stores to deny said goods to those who need them the most, including the poor, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems who are most susceptible to COVID-19 or other diseases or illnesses. In addition, in spite of the recent public warnings against COVID-19, some of those same young people used those recent events as an excuse to create the newest idiotic online "challenge" craze (which they dubbed the "Coronavirus challenge", akin to the earlier Tide Pod challenge), where they posted cell phone camera video of themselves putting themselves at risk for catching the virus (or other diseases) by stupidly licking toilet seats and encouraging others who saw the videos to do likewise, which led to widespread criticism and condemnation of their reckless behavior and stupidity on social media.
Those young people who choose to ignore COVID-19 protocols and engage in such behavior tend to do so because, like many young people, they think they are invincible, think they have all the answers to everything and think the rules do not apply to them. Such people also tend to be narcissists who care only about their own gratification and seeking attention and do not care how their self-centered behavior ends up negatively affecting other people or how bad it makes themselves look to the general public.
A notable non-Millennial example of the term covidiot coming into play recently is has-been Hollywood actress Alyssa Milano, who posted a photo on her Twitter account of herself with her husband and two children; in that photo, Milano is wearing a crocheted face mask, which she claims would "protect" her against being infected with COVID-19. Predictably, she was roasted for her knit mask on Twitter, with thousands of posters pointing out that such a mask is useless against COVID-19 because of it being riddled with holes and also criticizing her for creating and wearing it as little more than a "woke" fashion statement and an act of virtue signalling.
- Don't blame the COVIDIOTS, blame the messengers: Why some people don't take the pandemic warnings seriously at the National Post
- ‘COVIDIOTS’ hashtag catches on to call out COVID-19 social distancing failures
- COVIDIOTS: New name for shaming ignorant, selfish coronavirus reactions at Global News
- Multiple references:
- Americans are hitting bars and bragging about not social distancing
- Victoria seniors say they were attacked after issuing social distance warning at CHEK News
- Brooklyn man arrested for hoarding masks, coughing on FBI agents at the New York Post
- Pennsylvania Coughing "Prank" Suspect Arrested After $35,000 in Groceries Lost at Breitbart News Network
- Florida is top state complaining about ‘covidiots,’ study says
- Multiple references:
- The Leftist Media Thrives on Emotions – Not Facts at TownHall.com
- How China, The WHO, The CDC and the Mainstream Media Worked Together to Create the Greatest Pandemic Hysteria in World History at the Gateway Pundit
- POLITICIZING: MSNBC Declares Coronavirus to Be "Trump's Chernobyl" at NewsBusters
- All to Bash Trump on Virus: In 24 Hours CBS Does 180 on Travel Ban at NewsBusters
- The Media's Top Lies and Spins About COVID-19 at Real Clear Politics
- Playing Politics With Coronavirus: ABC, NBC Try to Stoke Fears of Trump's Response at NewsBusters
- Dr. Drew on Coronavirus: Hysterical 'Press Needs to Shut Up,' Fauci, CDC, Trump Doing What's 'Appropriate'
- Dr. Drew Explains That Coronavirus Alarm Is a Media Panic, Not a Medical Emergency
- ABC/CBS Stoke Fear of Shortages, NBC Touts Companies Stepping Up at NewsBusters
- Shoppers stampede for toilet paper as packs offered online for $1,000 at WND.com
- 'Appalled': Couple buys entire meat section, leaves nothing
- Woman who licked toilet seat for ‘coronavirus challenge’ wants to cough on Dr. Phil at the New York Post
- Woman licking plane toilet seat for 'coronavirus challenge' is slammed by Meghan McCain, others on Twitter at Fox News
- Horrible: Millennials And Gen Z’ers Are Calling Coronavirus “Boomer Remover” at the Gateway Pundit
- Useful Idiot Alyssa Milano Claims Her Crocheted Face Mask Covered in Holes ‘Keeps People Safe’ – Twitter Users Respond at the Gateway Pundit