A DINO, or Democrat in Name Only, refers to one of the more conservative members (fiscally and/or socially) of the Democratic Party, including the Blue Dog Democrats. It is the analogous term to RINO (Republican in Name Only), referring to a more liberal member of the Republican Party. Some commentators use the term "DINOSAUR" ("Democrat in Name Only, Sorry a** Undercover Republican").
Former DINOs who have since left the Democratic Party
- Ronald Reagan (California), 40th President of the United States (1981-1989).
- Condoleezza Rice (Alabama), 66th United States Secretary of State (2005-2009).
- Rudy Giuliani (New York), 107th Mayor of New York City (1994-2001).
- Rick Perry (Texas), 47th Governor of Texas (2000-2015)
- Jesse Helms (North Carolina), United States Senator (1973-2003).
- Kim Davis (Kentucky), Clerk of Rowan County (2015–present).
- Richard Shelby (Alabama), Senator from Alabama (1987-present)
- Phil Gramm (Texas), Senator from Texas (1985-2002)