Exodus International was "a nonprofit, interdenominational Christian organization promoting the message of Freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ." They had 150 ministries in 17 countries and 120 ministries in North America. Founded in 1976, Exodus was the largest Christian referral and information network dealing with homosexual issues in the world. Exodus was the premier organization when somebody decided to look for help to leave homosexuality, as well as support for affected family and friends.
In June 2013 Exodus International collapsed and shut down. Alan Chambers, the organization's president, apologized "to the gay community for years of undue suffering and judgment at the hands of the organization and the church as a whole," and also apologized for promoting reparative therapy and for not standing up against Christians who "called homosexuals names". It is believed, however, that Chambers may have been coerced by supporters of the homosexual agenda into making those statements and had been misled or otherwise forced by them into changing his stance on turning away from homosexuality, leading to the organization's collapse. According to LifeSiteNews, Exodus International as ex-gay umbrella group collapsed after its leaders moved away from the Bible’s teachings against homosexual behavior.
- Joe Dallas
- "An addiction is very difficult to change or revert. All compulsive courses of action are strongly resistant to change and lead people, over and over, into the same pattern of behavior, despite it can cost them a hard price" in OCD
- Overcoming homosexuality
- Reparative therapy
- Restored Hope Network
- Roberta Laurila
- Christian group that helped people repress same-sex attraction apologizes to gay community, Fox News, 20 June 2013.
- What’s Happened to Exodus International? – Authentic Drivel: Andy Comiskey Responds to Randy Thomas’ Fawning Piece on John Paulk’s Fall
- Statement by Andy Comiskey Expressing Concern about Exodus International and Alan Chambers
- Exodus International Closes Its Doors Following Troubling Leadership of Alan Chambers
- If gays are so tolerant, why are they disrupting an Ex-‘gay’ conference?. LifeSiteNews (16 June 2017). Retrieved on 1 Oct 2018. “A previous ex-gay umbrella group, Exodus International, collapsed after its leaders moved away from the Bible’s teachings against homosexual behavior.”