The Gun rights position – pro-rights, unalienable rights of the Bill of Rights and the Second Amendment, pro-self-defense, gun rights, pro-liberty – in the firearms debate is held mainly by conservatives and libertarians.
This is in natural opposition to the gun control position (big government Nanny state/Police state "gun grabbing", anti-rights, anti-self-defense, anti-Second Amendment) position of the left (and of all communists and dictators).
Conservatives favor laws that promote private ownership and possession of guns, arguing that guns help people to defend themselves against criminals (who will never follow gun laws anyway) and that concealed carry has helped to decrease crime since before the 1990s when concealed carry was illegal in most states. An analysis of FBI data by Jacob Paulsen in 2018, 94% of all mass shootings were thwarted by law-abiding armed citizens. In response to left-wing gun control laws, many counties have declared themselves "Second Amendment sanctuaries."
- List of state constitutions containing a RKBA provision
- Gun control
- Second Amendment
- National Rifle Association
- Gun Owners of America
- Second Amendment Foundation
- Duke, Selwyn (November 28, 2018). Guns Save Lives — Armed Citizens Thwart Active Shooters 94 Percent of the Time. The New American. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Richardson, Valerie (March 19, 2019). Democrats' gun control push fuels rise of Second Amendment sanctuary movement. The Washington Times. Retrieved March 20, 2019.