The group was founded by Dr. John Hillabrand and Lore Maier in 1971, as "Alternatives to Abortion", which soon after was changed to "Alternatives to Abortion International" (AAI), and finally in 1993 to its current name.
The organization provides the following resources to the pro-life community:
- The largest network of pregnancy resource centers (Care Net is the second-largest; it is not uncommon for a center to be members of both networks in order to reach the most number of women).
- Option Line, the only fully staffed, 24/7 operated, bilingual pro-life contact center in the U.S. Since its opening in 2003, it has helped more than 3.75 million women and men. Each day, it is contacted more than 1,100 times by people seeking help.
- The Abortion Pill Rescue Network, operated as part of Option Line, connects mothers who have taken the abortion pill, but shortly thereafter regret the choice, to doctors who can prescribe medication to administer the reversal protocol (within the 72-hour period wherein reversal is possible); the Network is contacted over 150 times each month.
- Extend Web Services, which provides web design and digital marketing services to pregnancy resource centers
- Next Level Center Management Solution. which provides data input and collection software for pregnancy resource centers
- Pregnancy Help News, which provides news on current events, happenings, and milestones within the pregnancy help community (the newsletter is issued weekly on Mondays and is free by simply providing an email address)