James Porter Moreland (born March 9, 1948), better known as J. P. Moreland, is an American philosopher, theologian, and Christian apologist. He presently serves as a Distinguished Professor of Philosophy at Talbot School of Theology at Biola University in La Mirada, California.
Argument from consciousness for the existence of God
See also: Atheism and consciousness
The argument from consciousness is an argument for the existence of God based on the problems consciousness poses for the atheistic worldview. The best-known defender of the argument from consciousness is J.P. Moreland. See: Atheism and consciousness
Awards and Honors
- Awarded fellowship for Ph.D. in nuclear chemistry, University of Colorado (1970).
- Rollin Thomas Chafer Award in Christian Apologetics, Dallas Seminary (1978–79).
- Academic Excellence Award, International School of Theology (1982–83).
- Winner of the Outstanding Professor of the Year Award, Lakin School of Religion, Liberty University, (1988–89).
- Elected as a Member of the Executive Committee for the Society of Christian Philosophers, (1997–99).
- Fellow of the Center for the Renewal of Science & Culture, Discovery Institute. (2000–present)
- Winner of the Robert Fischer Faculty Member of the Year Award, Biola University,(1998–99).
- Member of the Advisory Board for Philosophia Christi, (1999 to 2003).
- Member of the Executive Committee for the Evangelical Philosophical Society (1999-2003, 2006 to present).
- Fellow of the Wilberforce Forum, 2001 to present.
- 'Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity (1987)
- Christianity and the Nature of Science: A Philosophical Examination (1989)
- The Life and Death Debate: Moral Issues of Our Time (with Norman Geisler, 1990)
- Does God Exist?: The Debate Between Atheists and Theists (with atheist philosopher Kai Nielsen, 1990)
- The Creation Hypothesis: Scientific Evidence for An Intelligent Designer (1994)
- Love Your God With All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul (1997)
- Body and Soul: Human Nature and the Crisis of Ethics (with Scott Rae, 2000)
- Naturalism: A Critical Analysis (co-editor with William Lane Craig, 2000)
- Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview (with William Lane Craig, 2003)
- Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit's Power (2007)
- Consciousness and the Existence of God (2009)
- The Recalcitrant Imago Dei (2009)
- The God Question: An Invitation to a Life of Meaning (2009)
Incoherence/inconsistency of naturalism:
4 part series by Dr. J.P. Moreland
- Scientific Naturalism with J.P. Moreland, part 1
- Scientific Naturalism with J.P. Moreland, part 2
- Scientific Naturalism with J.P. Moreland, part 3
- Scientific Naturalism with J.P. Moreland, part 4