Jill Stein is an American politician and physician. She was the 2012 and 2016 presidential nominee for the Green Party. Stein strongly believes in environmentalism, especially including using alternative energy instead of fossil fuels.
In 2002 Stein ran against Mitt Romney for the Office of the Governor of Massachusetts, but she lost. In 2012 she ran as the Green Party's candidate for president. Her running mate was Cheri Honkala. Jill Stein was arrested in October 2012 for attempting to bring supplies (and Halloween candy) to people protesting the Keystone XL pipeline.
Praises Fidel Castro
On 26 November 2016, Jill Stein praised Cuban Marxist dictator Fidel Castro, as many leftist politicians around the world offered their condolences on learning of his passing: "Fidel Castro was a symbol of the struggle for justice in the shadow of empire. Presente!" she wrote on Twitter.
2016 presidential election recount
After the 2016 presidential election, in which businessman Donald Trump won, Stein had raised at least $5 million to recount the votes in Wisconsin, and she stated she would do the same for Michigan, and Pennsylvania. Stein made this move despite the fact that she won only about 1 percent of the vote and likely contributed to Clinton's loss, as well as the fact that the Trump won by very wide margins for a recount—almost 11,000 votes in Michigan, the narrowest margin, and over 70,000 votes or 1.17 percentage points in Pennsylvania, the widest margin.
As of November 28, 2016, Stein raised almost twice as much money for the recounts than she did for her entire 2016 presidential campaign.
- ↑ https://thinkprogress.org/jill-stein-campaign-russia-ecf424ac3b7e/
- ↑ https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/green-party-candidate-jill-stein-arrested/2012/10/31/0f309970-2373-11e2-8448-81b1ce7d6978_story.html
- ↑ Jill Stein praises Fidel Castro: 'A symbol of the struggle for justice'
- ↑ Scott, Eugene (November 28, 2016). Donald Trump blasts recount as 'ridiculous' and 'a scam'. CNN. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- ↑ Gray, Kathleen (November 28, 2016). GOP, Dems preparing for recount in Michigan. Lansing State Journal. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- ↑ Jill Stein's Pennsylvania recount efforts: What you need to know. CBS News. November 28, 2016. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- ↑ Close, Kerry (November 28, 2016). Jill Stein Raised More Money for Her Recount Effort Than She Did During the Election. Time.com. Retrieved November 30, 2016.