John Gray (philosopher)
John Nicholas Gray (born April 17. 1948) is an English political philosopher and author who focuses in the areas of analytic philosophy and the history of ideas. Gray retired as School Professor of European Thought at the London School of Economics and Political Science. Gray is an atheist who is critical of New Atheism.
Gray is also a columnist who contributes regularly to The Guardian, The Times Literary Supplement and the New Statesman, where he serves as the lead book reviewer.
John Gray's review of The Twilight of Atheism
See also: Atheist apologetics
John Gray in The Independent said "The decline of secular thought is the subject of Alister McGrath's provocative and timely The Twilight of Atheism. (...) His aim is not so much to analyse atheism as demolish its intellectual credentials, and in this he is largely successful."
- Mill on Liberty: A Defence (1983).
- Conceptions of Liberty in Political Philosophy (ed. with Zbigniew Pelczynski) (1984)
- Hayek on Liberty (1984)
- Liberalism (1986).
- Liberalisms: Essays in Political Philosophy (1989).
- J.S. Mill, "On Liberty": In Focus (ed. with G.W. Smith) (1991).
- Beyond the New Right: Markets, Government and the Common Environment (1993).
- Postliberalism: Studies in Political Thought (1993).
- Enlightenment's Wake: Politics and Culture at the Close of the Modern Age (1995).
- Berlin Fontana Modern Masters (1995).
- Liberalism (2nd ed.) (1995).
- After Social Democracy: Politics, Capitalism and the Common Life (1996)
- Mill on Liberty: A Defence (2nd ed.) (1996)
- Endgames: Questions in Late Modern Political Thought (1997).
- Hayek on Liberty (3rd ed.) (1998)
- False Dawn: The Delusions of Global Capitalism (1998, revised edition 2009).
- Voltaire (1998).
- Two Faces of Liberalism (2000).
- Straw Dogs: Thoughts on Humans and Other Animals (2002).
- Al Qaeda and What it Means to be Modern (2003).
- Heresies: Against Progress and Other Illusions (2004).
- Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia (2007).
- Gray's Anatomy: Selected Writings (2009).
- The Immortalization Commission: Science and the Strange Quest to Cheat Death (2011).
- The Silence of Animals: On Progress and Other Modern Myths (2013).
- John Gray interview: how an English academic become the world’s pre-eminent prophet of doom, The Telegraph, By John Preston, 6:30AM GMT 28 Feb 2013
- quoted in Summary of reviews - see also summaries of reviews in several other publications