|Johnny Coleman Rye, Jr.|
Arkansas State Representative for
District 54 (Mississippi and Poinsett counties)
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||David Ray "Dave" Wallace|
|Political party||Democrat-turned-Republican (2015)|
|Spouse(s)||Julie M. Rye|
|Children||Robin Rye Dabney|
|Alma mater|| Marked Tree High School|
Arkansas State University
|Occupation||Former county official|
Johnny Coleman Rye, Jr. (born 1956) is a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives for District 54, which encompasses Mississippi and Poinsett counties in the eastern portion of his state. Previously, as a Democrat, he was the county assessor for Poinsett County, with service from 1991 to 2016.
A United Methodist who resides in Trumann, Arkansas, Rye graduated from Marked Tree High School in Marked Tree in Poinsett County and attended Arkansas State University in Jonesboro. Early in his career, he was employed by The Jonesboro Sun newspaper. He and his wife, Julie, have a daughter, Dr. Robin Rye Dabney, a nurse practitioner in Memphis, Tennessee.
Rye was elected to the state House in 2016 to succeed the one-term David Ray "Dave" Wallace, Jr., who was instead elevated to the Arkansas State Senate. Rye serves on these House committees: (1) City, County, and Local Government, (2) Public Retirement and Social Security Programs, and (3) Public Transportation. He voted to ban abortions for sex-selection and co-sponsored the establishment of certain restrictions on abortion providers. He also co-sponsored the state law requiring personal identification as a condition for voting in Arkansas. Rye voted against the failed legislation to require Internet retailers to collect Arkansas state sales taxes.
- Jimmy Gazaway, state representative for District 57
- Carlton Wing, state representative for District 38
- Johnny Rye. Intelius.com. Retrieved on October 8, 2017.
- Michael Wilkey (September 2, 2015). Johnny Rye Officially Announces for State Representative. Talk Business Arkansas. Retrieved on October 8, 2017.
- Johnny Rye's Biography. Project Vote Smart. Retrieved on October 8, 2017.
- Johnny Rye's Voting Record. Project Vote Smart.