Kris William Kobach (born March 26, 1966) is the conservative Secretary of State of Kansas, serving since 2011. President Donald Trump appointed Kobach in 2017 as the Vice-chair of the Commission on Voter Integrity. Kobach is known for his fight against voter fraud, including his efforts to ensure that only U.S. citizens are voting in elections.
Kobach unsuccessfully ran for congress in 1993.
In 2001, Kobach took a leave of absence from his job as a law professor at the University of Missouri-Kansas City to become a White House fellow assigned to the Justice Department in the George W. Bush administration. There, Kobach worked on implementing the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System (NSEERS).
Kobach served as chairman of the Kansas Republican Party from 2007 to 2009. He won election as Kansas Secretary of State in 2010 and won re-election in 2014.
While serving as Kansas Secretary of State, Kobach joined an "Interstate Voter Registration Crosscheck Program" program to compare the names and birth date of the voter rolls in different states for common entries. Kobach also convinced Kansas to give the Secretary of State the power to prosecute criminal charges for voter fraud in 2015.
On June 8, 2017, Kobach announced his candidacy in the 2018 Kansas gubernatorial race. He ran as an anti-establishment candidate. He won the GOP primary in a close race, becoming the first Kansas gubernatorial primary candidate to defeat an incumbent governor in sixty years.
- Schallhorn, Kaitlyn (July 19, 2017). Trump voter fraud commission: Here's what to know. Fox News. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- Persons, Sally (May 15, 2017). Kobach says commission on voter fraud will look into suppression, irregularities. The Washington Times. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- Kamisar, Ben; Wheeler, Lydia (July 19, 2017). Kobach points to ‘lingering doubts’ in opening voter fraud commission. The Hill. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- Binder, John (March 21, 2018). Kansas: Kris Kobach Leads National Fight Against Non-Citizen Voting. Breitbart News. Retrieved March 22, 2018.
- "The Man Behind Trump’s Voter-Fraud Obsession", New York Times Magazine, June 13, 2017. Retrieved on July 21, 2017.
- Hayward, John (June 9, 2017). Kris Kobach Enters Kansas Governor Race to End ‘Insane’ Policies like Charging American Students Three Times as Much as Illegals. Breitbart News. Retrieved July 21, 2017.
- Huston, Warner Todd (December 4, 2017). Kansas Candidate for Governor Kris Kobach Is Bucking the Establishment. Breitbart News. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Multiple references:
- Binder, John (August 14, 2018). Trump-Endorsed Kris Kobach Makes History, Unseats Incumbent Kansas Governor in Primary. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Dedaj, Paulina (August 14, 2018). Jeff Colyer concedes to Trump-backed Kris Kobach in Kansas GOP governor's race one week after vote. Fox News. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- Duehren, Andrew (August 14, 2018). Trump-Backed Candidate Wins GOP Nod in Kansas Governor Race. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved August 14, 2018.
- McLaughlin, Seth (August 14, 2018). Jeff Colyer concedes to Trump ally Kris Kobach in Kansas governor race. The Washington Times. Retrieved August 15, 2018.
- Binder, John (August 8, 2018). Kris Kobach Could Make History by Defeating Incumbent Kansas Governor. Breitbart News. Retrieved August 14, 2018.